Towel Chrome Radiator not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a chrome towel radiator in my bathroom which was fitted 3 months ago. it has been working fine up till now but the other day the radiator stopped heating up and is completely cold when the central heating is switched on.

The copper pipe on the right side of the towel radiator (where the thermostat is located) is hot but the copper pipe on the left side is cold.

I have a combi boiler and the boiler pressure is above 1 and all other radiators are working ok. i have also aired all radiators in the house.

any ideas please as to why i am having this problem?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Maybe the TRV is stuck shut (someone turned it off recently?) or it needs bleeding or the worst scenario is that the return pipe from the rail is blocked.
If its the TRV, take the head off and see if the pin beneath is stuck down.
John :)

You've 'aired' all the other rads, have you 'aired' the towel rail?
They are invariably the highest point of the system and thus collect air before anywhere else. Don't forget to repressurise the system after 'airing' - or bleeding- radiators.

thanks very much for the responses

i have already aired the towel radiator but it did not fix the issue.

here is a picture of the towel radiator, which trv do i need to look at - left or right side> - on the right side you will see i have removed the thermostatic valve

and what steps do i need to take to check if the pin beneath the trv is down or is the trv is stuck?

Sponsored Links
Just a thought; if you have 'aired' the radiators, if you try to 'air' this radiator, do you get any water out? If you have not refilled the system, then you may not have sufficient water in the system to circulate through this rad, which probably is at thetop of the system. If the boiler is downstairs and the bathroom is up stairs, then it is possible the gauge will still register a pressure from the static head.

If i air the rad then water does come out.

Could it be the knob to the left side of the radiator?

The left pipe int the rad is cold which doesn't appear to be right but the right pipe feeding into the thermostatic valve is hot.

The boiler pressure i just above 1 . Should i try increasing the pressure to 1.5?

Close off the thermostatic valve ( the hot pipe) and try bleeding about 1 -2 lts of water through the cold valve. You may find that after a short while you start to get air. This will be the air lock that is stopping circulation. Make sure you have enough pressure to start with.

Do i bleed the cold valve by opening the small valve at the top of the radiator normally done to air the radiator?

With your lack of understanding about the advice already given to you, perhaps it is time to consult a professional. How about the person who fitted it three months ago?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back