triton electric shower problem. Runs cold only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a Triton Hawaii electric shower. The problem started this morning, that is runs only cold. The light is on when the cord is pulled and stays on when the shower is on. Is there anything simple that this could be that I could test for or replace please?

Thanks for reading my post :)

Sponsored Links
Test the top tco for continuity with multi meter.
Make sure showers mains power is off first.

What is it the Hawaii or Hawaii 2 ?

thanks for your replies

I have taken the cover off the shower and tested for continuity across the cut out and there's no beep / no continuity. Do these just fail then randomly? Can they be replaced?

Sponsored Links
No continuity it's failed.

If it's the early model just Hawaii not Hawaii 2 many parts are now obsolete
for this shower including the tco.

They can fail with age or due to another fault.

sorry it is Hawaii II - oh I see. What can cause it to fail then? Can they self reset?

They are a 2 stage tco first resets second don't.
If the showers just constant cold water then it's activated the second stage
and needs replacing.

If it's failed due to a fault it'll of overheated and tripped the cutout.
Has the temp when using shower been fluctuating hot/cold ?

New tco about £16 + p/p

yes I have noticed sometimes it isn't as hot recently, but I presumed it was due to the weather changing, somedays being colder than others! WHat does that mean? Thanks for helping :)

useally that's down to the temp of the cold mains supply coming into the property.

is it has activated first stage do you mean it runs ok and then trips cos of overheating then runs cold until it has reset again? Why would it overheat?

I don't know how long it will take to reset, just noticed it ran cold an hour or so ago

is it has activated first stage do you mean it runs ok and then trips cos of overheating then runs cold until it has reset again?

Yes it cycles hot/cold.

Why would it overheat?

Reduced flow through the shower ie blocked inlet filter, scaled head, damaged inner on shower hose, stopcock not fully open.

I don't know how long it will take to reset, just noticed it ran cold an hour or so ago

If it had no continuity when you tested it it's activated the 2nd stage and won't reset.

thanks a lot for your help

so it looks like a new TCO will be required. Can you get these from a merchants or a diy store, or online perhaps?

thanks a lot for the link it is much appreciated :)

just for future reference! so if the shower runs hot then goes cold for a bit and then hot again a little while later etc, if means it's overheated and the tco has activated, but will reset? so to check for partially blocked shower head/hose, isolation valve fully open and for a blocked filter should that happen?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back