Typical CH layout - Running of pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously there is 101 ways to skin a cat.

But in a fairly typical 4+4 room house with the boiler on the ground floor where and how would the pipes typcally run.

The runs to the 1st floor rads would be in the ceiling void, but would they be from a central back bone, star out from the middle? And where would the ground floor runs be laid, down from above, or in the floor.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Depends on what the downstairs floor is constructed of, and whether the system is a retro-fit or not.

If the downstairs floor was concrete and/or would be too disruptive or damaging to cut into/lift, I would run the flow and return up into floor above, probably in 22mm. This would then be teed off in 15mm for the rads, tails up through floor for upstairs rads, and drops in inconspicuous places for downstairs rads.

If you are laying pipes in downstairs floor, the 22mm would go 2 ways from boiler, one to floor upstairs, the other to downstairs floor. Again, tee off in 15mm for rads.

Ok.

Ive just bought my first house and as my parents house is elec underfloor, getting upto speed on wet CH and the plumbing involved. But that tallys with what little ive seen so far, atleast, its appear to al run in the ceiling void.

The house is a 40's semi and has obviously been retrofitted, or atleast heavly changed, and then later had the radiators changed. (the 15mm tails being cut and 10mm s-shapped tails or flex being used to to link it up)

Generally it works, bar one radiator thats been deplumbed but as im got holes in the ceiling im keen to do a stock take on what I have incase there are any nastys awaiting in unseen areas! There are a fair few in other plumbing in the house including the flex tails,and the use of washing machine isolation valves which weap when turned.

Photos to follow prehaps. Everyone likes a chuckle!

Daniel

Not sounding too great. However, if they have only bothched the links to the rads and the main F and R distribution pipes are still unmolested, it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to rectify. Are the washing machine valves on the ch system?

Can't wait for the photos.

People who butcher ch systems like yours often neglect the basics. If you're using your system, I would start by making sure that it has corrosion inhibitor in it.

Sponsored Links
Are the washing machine valves on the ch system?
yep, 't' ones, to add the kitchen rad direct to the F&R pipes as they come out of the boiler. Isolation valves on the tails are also suitably 'do not try and turn me' suspect!

As per my other threads, ive just been through the plasterboard in the bathroom, having set about regrounting to find the tiles fall off and the pb with it. Oh, and there was a peice of white 2.5 flex between the pb and the brickwork.

Daniel

Can't wait for the photos.
Forgotten all about these, I will get on it.

In the mean time I have found out a little more, namely if nothing else, that there used to be two pairs of pipes running down in each of the two front rooms either side of the same room, and the previous owner then had one of the pairs removed and that radiator t'eed off the other pair within the underfloor void, which is apprently about 2ft deep, which prehaps explanes why it doesnt get that hot! Hall radiator is off its own dropper.
The floor a the rear of the house is solid (kitchen on d/stairs loo) where the only rad is one in the kitchen (right by the boiler) with the hall and front rooms being suspended wooden, each with a radiator as above.

Its stil unclear where and for how long the 22mm runs before it turns into 15 (and the 10mm tails) for the radiators but certainly it appears to start by running to the backwall within the false ceiling in the kitchen before turning to run along it, which again prehaps goes some way to explan why the front is less good, and the radator using flexable tails really bad.

Summers coming, and then we can have the water out of it!

Daniel

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back