Vaillant Ecotec 837 combi started making funny noise (video)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Vaillant Ecotec 837 combi started making this noise either when we turn a hot water tap or when the heating ( on timer) kicks in about 6:30 in the morn ;-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWkJv1HK0J8

I use a VRT 392F bluetooth controller that worked fine since I bought the whole system roughly 3 yrs ago.
I set the temp of the water from the VRT 392F module and the heating temp and on/off as well . This means setting the dials to max on the boiler and let the timer take over and control the boiler.

I checked the VRT 392F and in settings its definatly talking to the boiler.
The only way I can make it stop making this noise is by lowering the water temp to 50ish which doesnt help as the water is then luke warm.
Anyone any idea's ? It does have a vernox F1 filter attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me as if the main heat exchanger may be partially blocked or scaled up.

But I would be asking about the history of the boiler.

A mag filter fitted later usually indicated to me that there was a dirt problem and it was an attempt to cure it without too much work.

But lets see what others have to say as it might be something else.

Tony

the boiler was reallocated when bought new and installed along with all the rads (pipe work to rads old) I would say just on 2 1`/2 yrs ago. The guy flushed out the system before installing. The filter was installed at the same time simply because it came free when I bought the whole package.

I've just cleaned out the Fernox filter and took the cap off and it was caked in black oil like grime. I put it back and noise has lessened to about 1/2 .

The boiler is situated upstairs in a cubby hole off the bathroom so the outlet is just above it. I did notice that if I slightly lean onto the boiler and say every so slight lean on one side more than the other the noise nearly dissapears. I've not a clue other than that.

Those filters need to be cleaned after a week, month 3 months and then annually.

Clearly your system was never cleaned properly.

Its probably seriously sludged up and a restricted flow rate through boiler.

You are expected to have the boiler serviced every year. Do not do that and the warrantee is only one year!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Those filters need to be cleaned after a week, month 3 months and then annually.

Clearly your system was never cleaned properly.

Its probably seriously sludged up and a restricted flow rate through boiler.

You are expected to have the boiler serviced every year. Do not do that and the warrantee is only one year!

Tony

I cant say if he did it properly or not as I'm not converse with the methods when cleaning out before a new install but I was working on the property at the time when he was here so called doing it. He had plastic clear pipes here there and every were when he said he was doing it.

The proof of the cleaning is resulting in a clean system!

It also needs the boiler to be serviced annually!

And a regime for cleaning the mag filter starting with short periods and only extending when its proven to stay clean.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back