Vaillant Ecotec Exclusive 838 advice please on problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6 year old Vaillant Ecotec Exclusive 838 that regularly shuts off. This has happened since new and seems to happen the most when the heating is on (but not necessarily actually running ie just sitting at the programmed temperature) and then you turn the hot water on. There is a very loud whooshing noise like a kettle boiling dry and then the boiler shuts off. There was previously an F20 error code and the display says water deficiency (but there is plenty of water in the system). Vaillant have been out several times over the years and in Nov 2010 just about replaced everything - PCB board (for the second time), temperature monitor, pump, NTC sensor, system pressure sensor - all done under a service scheme warranty. The same problem has now started again only this time there is no error code being recorded. I'm in a bit of a spot in that if I get the Valiant engineer out again I know he will do nothing as there is no error code - he has said this before. The system currently resets after being switched on and off and works ok for a while but obviously this is a nuisance to have to keep doing this and clearly there is something wrong for it to do this in the first place. The Vaillant engineer seemed to have no experience of this fault and from my observations just changed parts in the hope that something worked. I think the thing that has worked the longest was changing the PCB as this was done last after the other things failed to cure the problem. Is this a regular problem on these boilers?

I'd really appreciate some experienced advice and if anyone has come across this before and has a solution. Also can I ask, is it ok when the heating is on for the pressure to be 2.5 at 70 degrees - this is very close to the red line on the pressure indicator and I wonder if I turned it up higher if it might actually go into the red line

My service scheme via Homeserve / Vaillant is up for renewal in Jan and I am thinking of looking elsewhere to a competent independent Vaillant expert perhaps - if I can find one. I am in the Tyne and Wear area. I was thinking that it might also be useful to have a more thorough service carried out such as cleaning the combustion chamber etc at the same time. The regular service seems to just be a gas check and clean the condensate trap and presumably after 6 years other things will need be done.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. The boiler generally has been ok apart from this reoccurring fault.

Many thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Do you actually need 38kW? Poor boiler is probably hopelessly over sized and has been slowly cooking itself.

Saying there is no error code m but it works after resetting is also a bit contradictory.

Sponsored Links
The Ecotecs are fully modulating so it's max output is irrelevant.

thats a big of a myth... range rating a boiler does have benefits of keeping the boiler in condensing mode for longer, and keeps the average fan speed down, which is good for longevity...

It might modulate down, but it would still over shoot. Correctly rated, it would go on a longer burn to reach temp and condense for longer.

I think this boiler would have been before the auto range feature of the newer Vaillants

If they don't need range rating then why have that function on the boiler :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back