Vaillant Ecotec Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant Ecotec 415 Plus system boiler installed a few years ago. Originally it was an open vented system, but I have recently done a renovation and made the central heating a sealed pressurised system with an external expansion vessel replacing the expansion tank.

Ever since the boiler has been installed, when the central heating fires up, there seems to be a lot of water being discharged out of the condensate pipe for a minute or so. Is this normal?

Also, perhaps related to the water discharge, in the top most radiators in the house, some air seems to become gathered, to the extent that I can hear air bubbling up in the radiator when a heating cycle starts.

Given the old expansion tank was relatively low, just about 2 meters above the topmost radiators, I thought air may be coming back into the system through the pressure overflow pipe that fed back into the old expansion tank. Which is one of the reasons why I made the central heating system a closed pressurised system. But even now, air still seems to get into the system and travels to the topmost radiator.

The system also as an automatic air vent in the pipework just above the boiler, that was replaced with a new one when the boiler was installed.

I’m having difficulty finding anything on the internet related to this problem. So I would be grateful if someone could provide some advice on what the problem may be, and how to resolve it.

My feeling is that the water discharge and air coming into the system are related and are due to the way the boiler has been installed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
what pressure do you run it at and how high is the building and where in the building is the boiler?

Thanks for your reply.

Pressure is about 1.25 bar when the system is cold. The building is a three storey house (ground, 1st and 2nd floor), the boiler is on the ground floor in the kitchen.

is the pressure gauge next to the boiler on the ground floor..

Sponsored Links
The expansion vessel is external under the stairs (on the ground floor) which has the pressure gauge on it.

I seemed to have the same problem (water discharge and air in radiator) when it was a gravity fed system too.

well I would run it at a higher pressure...you do this to keep air out, as much as anything else...may be two bar...

The top of the system is the lowest pressure obviously and which means that it has to be higher pressure to stop micro leaks letting air in.

Your system is now sealed... I wouldn't worry about what happened when it was open vented..

Thanks, I'll try that.

Is the water discharge out of the condensate drain at the start of the heating cycle normal?

As this seems to happen the same time water bubbles up in the top radiator.

coincidence... one is caused by the fan in the boiler, which begs the question is this a particularly long flue run, and the other is the pump starting on the heating circuit..hopefully after all the air has come out the latter should stop....

It's a short flue run. Through the wall which the boiler is fixed to, so approx. 1/2 meter run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back