valve weep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just replaced rad with new one from Vic. Plumb.
The valves are the cheapo cross head things (a bit of retro). Thing is, both are weeping. When screwing on nut, wrapped 3 rounds of PTFE and tightened. Slow weep, a drop a minute sort of thing, out of the back of the nut. No weep from tails.
Drain, take off nut, clean off PTFE and replace that with 5 rounds of fresh. Replace nut. Same result, slow weep.
Take off nut, replace PTFE and ADD a dash of the old plumbers mate. Tighten up, see a squeeze of the plumbers mate appear out the back of nut. Same result, slow weep.
Am now extremely cross and anticipate taking large axe to the subject, but perhaps someone can supply an answer? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steve

Sponsored Links
Tighten the nut with nothing but the olive this allows the olive to bite properly then undo and then wrap the olive with PTFE , remake the joint and tighten , be carefull not to over tighten

Sorry, didn't make myself clear.
The weep is not from the tail, ie: the nut tighting on the olive, it is the nut which tightens onto the rad itself, no olive.

steve

The tail screws into the rad. The other end connects to the nut beit a 3/4 or 1/2 inch connection where your rad valve connects to.

Sponsored Links
Tails with a 1/2" nut normally has an olive on the tail either loose or pre-tightened, 3/4" nut is normally a conical joint.

Do you have 1/2" or 3/4" nuts?

How dare you!
The size of my nuts is of no consequence or relevance (but small as you ask).

Thanks for replies - problem now solved. I think putting the axe near the rad was the answer, although heaps more PTFE might have helped.

steve

I think putting the axe near the rad was the answer,
The threat of violence seems to work only 25% of the time. You were lucky. (The PTFE will have helped.)

I hope the tail attached to your small nuts is not small also, otherwise you have my sympathy! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back