Vented cylinder, hot and cold water spitting out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm having a few problems with my hot and cold water, and a few concerns about my hot water cylinder, this seems to be the best place for advice, so...

Basically we moved in a couple of months ago into a two bedroom house, which has a ground floor, first floor, and a second floor. The boiler is located in the ground floor kitchen, and the hot water cylinder is located in our bedroom on the very top floor. We have a wet room on the ground floor, and a bath and shower on the first floor.

First problem, whenever we run any of the hot taps there is odd noise that comes from the cylinder, like a short grumble, and every so often a long and loud grumble. It's so loud that you can hear it from our garden.

Second problem, the hot and cold taps spit every so often and sometimes it burns my skin, now - I have tested the temperature and adjusted it on the cylinder, which reads 60-65c. But it feels SO hot.

Third problem, the shower in the ground floor wet room has hardly any pressure in the hot water, it's very slow. This also happens in the upstairs shower. So we use the bath, but it spits out very hot water.

I hope I have given enough detail.

Thank you,

Jason

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me the system has not been installed very well.

sounds like it is over heating for a start, does turning the cylinder stat down make any difference?
you need someone to look at the controls, get a heating engineer in as they can then advise on the other issues you are having when they are on site

Matt

Sponsored Links
sounds like it is over heating for a start, does turning the cylinder stat down make any difference?
you need someone to look at the controls, get a heating engineer in as they can then advise on the other issues you are having when they are on site

Matt

Isn't the stat supposed to be at a safe temperature though? Because of some disease? Or is that me being stupid? If I do set it to a lower temp and noise stops, do I just leave it? Is the cylinder meant to be switched on all the time?

Isn't the stat supposed to be at a safe temperature though? Because of some disease? Or is that me being stupid? If I do set it to a lower temp and noise stops, do I just leave it? Is the cylinder meant to be switched on all the time?

No you are not being stupid, it does req setting at the correct temperature
but if it is set to say 60 and the actual temp is much hotter than that then something is either wrong with the stat, a valve or the wiring.
you could use a thermometer and actually measure the water temp coming out of the hot taps if you have one

Matt

I have used a thermometer on the water, and it does read between 60-65c. It just feels too hot. Does the cylinder have to stay on all the time? Also it always makes a loud 'shhh!' noise, I assume that's the water heating up?

Get in the loft and make sure the vent pipe outlet isnt submerged in the tank water.

I can't find a vent pipe in the loft, there is a wooden box covering over the top though I think, all screwed in. Also there is a brown outlet pipe in the back garden on the wall, with a mesh covering, is that it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back