Viessmann boiler not holding temperature !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
A few weeks ago my Bristan shower would only get luke warm and then go cold, so i would turn the temperature up and it would go luke warm and then cold until i had the shower turned fully hot and the water would be cold.
I contacted Bristan and they sent out new non return valves and a new thermostat. I fitted these items and now the shower fluctuate between being red hot and luke warn.
I noticed that the temperature display on the boiler with the hot water running was shooting up to 89oc and then shutting off until 75.5oc and then firing up until 89oc. I thought this would explain why the thermostat in the shower couldn't keep a constant temperature.
I then tried the bath hot water tap and the boiler did the same thing. The boiler is 3 years old and i have a 5 year guarantee. I contacted Viessmann technical help and they said it sounded like the heat exchanger was scaled up and they would put me through to customer services.
I spoke to customer services who said that a scaled heat exchanger counted as a blockage and blockages aren't covered by the warranty. I would have to contact a local gas engineer to have a look.
I explained that the boiler was faulty and i wasn't going to pay for somebody to have a look when it was under guarantee. The lady on the phone said it was a system fault and not the boiler. I then stated that it was very obviously a boiler fault and they should come out. The lady then said that she would make an appointment for an engineer to come out but he would only diagnose the problem and it would cost me £90. I refused this saying that it was under warranty and a Viessmann had been out 18 months earlier to fix a software problem and picked up a couple of problems with the system but nothing about potential scale. After a few times of asking to speak with her supervisor she came back saying that she would book an engineer to come out and it would be his decision if the fault was for Viessmann to fix or at my cost.
The central heating system appears to be fairly old and could do with a good clean but i plan on changing the radiators as i renovate the house. I had a Magana clean twin tech fitted with my boiler.
The telephone conversation with the lady at Viessmann was left as she was going to ring me back later to arrange an appointment for the engineer. This phone call was at 1515 hours today and i haven't herd back anything yet.

What are my options with the boiler and how should i deal with Viessmann?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear!

You do seem to think that you know everything about heating and boilers!

Its very unlikely that your system was ever power flushed when the boiler was installed. Dirt from the system has got into the boiler and blocked the plate HE.

The fact you have a mag filter supports the likelyhood that the system was never power flushed as many installers like to charge the customer for fitting one and then they think they dont need to bother to clean the system.

You shoud be discussing this problem with your installer who seems surprisingly absent from your posting!

Viessmann should be charging you for their diagnostic visit and suspending the warrantee until you have the system power flushed properly.

Tony

Tony, Not a helpful post! I don't think that i have said or implied that i know everything about boilers, thence the reason that i am asking questions on this forum.

Will a power flush cure my problem?

The boiler almost certainly needs a powerflush. The boiler was clean when it was installed, and boilers don't make dirt. Be sure that your man does the powerflush with the diverter valve stopped in mid-position. It can be done, and it is important. The whole heating system needs powerflushing as well, with the radiators open one at a time so that each has been flushed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I am planning on doing the flush myself, as i can hire the machine and chemicals for £120 but haven't found a company/person to do it for under £400.

I am very mechanically/engineering minded. Is there a guide on how to do it yourself somewhere?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back