Warm Water in F&E Tank / Noisy / Boiler Cutting Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me with this one.....???

On start up for heating, a lot of gurgling and swishing of water heard upstairs, noisy TRV's (ticking etc) - this goes on for about a minute then it quietens down. There is definitely air in the system but it doesn't get to the rads so I can't get it out! The only place I can get a little air to come out is in the heated towel rail as this is the highest point. How do I get rid of the air???

The water in the F&E tank is warm (about 40c) and a film of sludge builds up on the surface. A combined feed & vent pipe comes up from the airing cupboard - I've checked the boiler instructions and this looks like it's in the right place but has 2 elbows in the pipework before rising to the loft.

The boiler tends to cut out (I think temp override as it's trying to heat air rather than water!) and once re-set seems to run again for half a day or so before cutting out again.

A few things to help perhaps:-
- 11 year old Potterton Suprima 70 in kitchen.
- Y plan set up in airing cupboard with grunfos pump.
- 28mm pipework from top of boiler for around 3m then reduces to 22mm.
- I've checked actual schematic with boiler instruction schematic and all seems about right - the only thing different is position of manual vent in A/C is HWC side of valves and not heating side.
- system seems to work better with pump at highest setting (position 3) this makes the most humming sound but boiler cuts out more often otherwise.
- setting boiler thermostat on a low setting seems to help.
- gets worse and boiler cuts out more often when really cold outside.
- system is well dosed up with fernox f1.

Sorry for long post, any help will be appreciated!!

[/list]

Sponsored Links
when you run hot water, do you get bits in it?
also does cwsc overflow runing?
if so the cylinder coil has gone

Thats an interesting possibility!

But it would manifest itself by the levels in the water and heating tanks trying to equalise themselves if left a few hours with mains water turned off and nothing touched.

Although hardly high tech, its always very pleasing when you diagnose a fault like this.

Tony

No bits in hot water and sorry, I don't know what you mean by cwsc overflow.

Hot water seems ok and when boiler is set on hot water everything is nice and quiet!

Sponsored Links
Noisy, warm f&e tank, air in towel rail, I'm thinking the cold feed/open vent is starting to block up, or it is incorrectly installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back