Washing gushing out of top of Magna Clean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a new house and had the boiler (Vaillant ecoTEC plus 418 and a Magna Clean Professional) serviced. The house had been empty for nearly a year and the radiators have gradually got warmer as the weeks have gone on. I bled the radiators three days ago as two had always been cool at the top. Quite a bit of air came out, I put the heating back on, but after about 20 minutes water started gushing out of the top of the Magna Clean Professional, not leaking, but pouring out.

I switched off the water and the heating and the water stopped coming out straight away and was OK when I turned the water back on. I left the heating off until the plumber came the next day, but when he turned it back on there was no water coming from anywhere. He said he'd been able to slightly tighten the Magna Clean lid, but that was it. He can't explain it, Magna Clean sent me some standard lines on normal, constant leaks, and Vaillant said it wasn't anything to do with the boiler.

I'm left not knowing why the water poured out and when it might happen again. I'd be really grateful if anyone has any suggestions please. There's no sign at all of leaks around the Magna Clean at the moment.

Sponsored Links
It could be if your central heating has been dormant for some time, that sludge has been moved around a settled system and blocked the filters up.
But if the leak has stopped since the plumber returned and tighten the magna-clean lid up, that he may not have tightened it enough on servicing ;)

was it coming out round the threads of the screw-on cap, or the bleed strew in the centre of the cap?

This sounds very odd.

Unfortunately, its always down to the person who actually sees it to note EXACTLY where the leak is coming from.

Furthermore turning the water on and off, whatever that is meant to mean has no effect on the sealed system.

So I am going to guess the leak was actually mains water and somehow spraying onto the Magnaclean.

They do often leak but I think not in this case.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Prenticeboyofderry and Agile. JohnD there was so much water I couldn't tell if it was the bleed screw or the lid the water was coming out of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back