Waste to soil pipe connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening!

To my delight my bath waste pipe started leaking about an hour ago. On inspection it appears to be at the point where the 40mm waste pipe bends into the soil stack under the toilet pan connector (grrr.. why couldn't it be easy).

The joint, which is quarter buried in concrete, looks like it was solvent welded in! Any ideas if and how it can be replaced or will i need to change that section of the stack??? (the stack is plastic but serves the upstairs flat too so might be a fair bit of work.)

Appreciate any and all assistance!
Garviel

Sponsored Links
Unusual for a solvent joint to start leaking, unless it's been disturbed and caused to split somewhere. If the joint is solvent welded it'll never come apart, replacement is only option. Some types have a rubber boss adaptor, waste pipe can be removed and new adaptor fitted but without looking its impossible to tell.

Grafting in a new section of stack is fairly straightforward, even more so if you are on good terms with upstairs and they will refrain from discharging any water whilst you are working! :LOL:

Thanks Hugh!

I have added a piccie - hope it is clearer. The leak is where that white inbetween pipe that connects the soil to the waste. I have no idea what that pipe is called :oops:

View media item 50100

. The leak is where that white inbetween pipe that connects the soil to the waste. I have no idea what that pipe is called :oops:

[]
It`s called a bodge :cry: - so is that strap on boss connected to the socket part of the soil pipe - if it were all grey pipe I would have been surprised @ a leak - that white bit is incompatible with the grey . Cut it all out and re do it ;) Help is here @ hand if you get problems with connecting to the grey pipes - has it got any markings on the fittings - maybe Osma ? can`t quite read it

Sponsored Links
Think I can just about make out Osma on the near 45deg bend. Not sure if the rubber seal on the boss has had it or they've used wrong pipe in a solvent fitting, (in which case it'll always have leaked somewhat), but i'm with Nige there, looks like redoing it is the only option... :(

Aaaaaaargh :evil:

I wish I read your posts earlier!

Went away for weekend and got family member to get plumber in to replace. They took the pipes out and installed a new 'bodge'!!!

I will post a pic in the morning....have to decide now whether to leave the new bodge in or replace it all and do it properly! Worth it if it does not leak?

Just because it's not leaking now doesn't mean it won't leak in the future...if it's bodged it needs redoing properly

Dan - that's disturbing, I am near TW and I understand the extension, where the bathroom is, was done in the late 70s..

Anyway, here's the picture dudes...enjoy! :(

View media item 50226
Not paid the plumber yet, who is asking for 60 quid but was a recomendation from wife's boss! Might be cheaper to pay.

Well, the worse thing is I got mad. If you guys are anything like me you get rushes of blood at the injustice of it all and act rashley...well i did just that. I ripped out my toilet and boxing to give me room to assess the situation better and only then realised I left the family with no bog! And now with a cooler head I am thinking WTF :eek:

The toilet was cemented in and stupidly I used a hammer so couldnt put it back! I rushed to get a new one only to realise I have no idea what i am doing. If you look at the below pic there are two new issues - firstly the bit with a tissue is a hole that needs plugging (how??) and out of the soil pipe is...another pipe.. i dont know what it is called but I can guess... :confused:

View media item 50227
I am starting to find this amusing! I really am a prat :mrgreen:

It's an improved bodge, but still a bodge. The tee going into the stack is being used against its natural flow direction for one of the branches off it, and that strap boss around the socket in the ground is just awful.

Plugging the hole containing the tissue will also be a bodge, really the fitting needs taking out and replacing, but you've now caused a massive amount of extra work to need doing. Not sure which 'other pipe' you're referring to :confused:

It'll not be so amusing when you're sh*tting in a bucket for a few days while you wait for someone to come and fix it properly...

Hmmm...if i dont smile I'll cry.

The pipe i mention is the roughly cut section with the towel inside it...

The pipe with the towel in is referred to as a branch, but that's not really important here. You'll need a straight pan connector to fit the new toilet to it, buy a new one as the old one will leak if you try to reuse it...

Cool. Out of interest, why is the bossed in bit so awful?

And any ideas plugging that hole?
Cheers

Those strap bosses are designed to be used around plain pipe, not punched through the side of a socket fitting, which is of a larger diameter and therefore likely to be prone to leaking. It's not clamped on properly and I suspect if you were to wiggle it a bit it may well come loose. Also, the waste tee connecting too it is in the wrong direction for whatever is running in from the top of the picture - if you look at the tee you can see the socket facing the soil pipe boss has a built-in sweep towards the bottom end as you look at the picture, with the top end therefore having to go round a very sharp, tight bend to get into the soil stack. The bottom socket as you look at it should be the one facing the soil pipe as this is the discharge end, the other two are entries into the tee.

As for plugging the hole, the best I can suggest is silicone, but it's a bodge and really the tee needs cutting out and replacing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back