Water constantly running into toilet bowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

I've noticed that we have a slight but constant trickle of water running down the back of the toilet bowl in our upstairs toilet. I recently changed the water inlet valve for a Fluidmaster to solve a water hammer issue and was hoping that this would also fix the other problem but it doesn't appear to have worked.

Any advice and information is welcome and gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
I assume it is a flush unit rather than an older syphon, the bottom washer fails so the unit lets by to the bowl only other possibility is the water level too high so running through the internal overflow but I expect you have checked that already.

You might get a new washer but changing he unit might be the best bet do you know which model is fitted?

I'm assuming it's a flush unit - I've uploaded a picture to my album if you can advise what model it is. Is it an easy job to change out the flush unit if that's required?

Have a look through this lot (4pages) and see if anything matches for a straight swap of the unit ( usually a bayonet fit from above) otherwise it's a new one complete not a massive job but if it is close coupled rather than just low level it's usually a bit of a faff getting it out.

Sponsored Links
Hello all

Many thanks for the advice thus far. I went out and brought a fluidmaster flush valve to replace the old unit, but when I've gone to change it today the basket that the old valve was locked into has been sealed into place. It looks as if it's some kind of clear sealant they've used - can anyone offer any advice as to what I would need to remove this so I can unscrew the basket and put the new valve in?

If it's a close-coupled cistern then you need to remove the cistern and unscrew the backnut which hold the old flush valve in place

Well bugger me if this isn't turning into an odyssey! I'm now attempting to remove the cistern but the wing nuts are on tighter than a vice! I've soaked them in WD40 for the last three days but they are not budging. Any tips on how to get them off without cracking the cistern?

Back up a bit... remove the flush valve from the basket fitting in the toilet, turn it upside down and take a pic of the bottom of it where the rubber seal is. I'll bet my next cup of tea that all you actually need to do is buy a new seal

Well b*****r me if this isn't turning into an odyssey! I'm now attempting to remove the cistern but the wing nuts are on tighter than a vice! I've soaked them in WD40 for the last three days but they are not budging. Any tips on how to get them off without cracking the cistern?

If a pair of grips will not shift them, small hacksaw and sacrifice a few knuckles ;)

As suggested IF you can get a new seal that might work, but if obsolete it's a long shot.

You will also need a new doughnut washer (they do vary might need to see the old one before buying) to refit the cistern back and a new fitting kit to replace the hack-sawed parts.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Clos...43364569612|&gclid=CJ2Uveux1cQCFSXItAodvC8Ahw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back