Water hammer noise with cold tank float valve issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi got a problem at hand very noisy water hammer in my cold water tank in attic.

I have had a plumber round who has installed a new ball valve part 2 but the noise reappeared shortly after 3 days-plumber has advised this is due to the cold water tank missing a 'Vibration plate'

He is not willing to install it since its not part of his service(thru home insurance) and advised me on how to install it instead.

He has also advised I lagg my pipes around the cold water tank since none of them have that grey insulate foam around them and to get 15mm clips to hold the piping down in the attic.

I could do the above diy myself but I am having issue finding this vibration plate or metal reinforced plate to buy in UK for that matter its like it does not exist on ebay/amazon/google, anyone no where to get one its for a cold water tank ?

like below:

http://www.practicaldiy.com/plumbing/pipe-noises/water_tank.gif

Sponsored Links
I just drill a hole (22mm I think it was) into a piece of plywood and use that....it just provides a bit of stiffening to the tank.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for quick replies

Yeah I was just up there in the attic while mother having a bath and the noise came back so I decided to run my hand on the pipes gripping it firmly and yeah it stopped the noise so went a bit further and tried to trace where exactly this hammer noise was coming or which area at least.

Turns out its pretty close to where the cold water tap is or that bolt on the back just before the pipe heads into the cold water tank I put my hand firmly on it and noise stops.

Was thinking of doing a mcguyver job so as suggested some wood blocks and just nudge the pipe work so the noise goes.

I was about to do this but figured this plumber must have tightened the bolt on the pipe going into that tank but turns out it was a little loose so I gripped the valve on the inside and tighted the back bolt it twisted almost 50-70% more tighter.

No more noise for now and just let the cold and hot tap on for 5 minutes.

Am praying it was just that loose bolt lol

No hammer noise so guess it was just that loose bolt, thanks for all the input and advice matter resolved !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back