WB Greenstar 24i junior - Vibration noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm new to the boiler world and this is the first time I have to deal with a boiler.

I rented a flat that has this WB Greenstar 24i junior condensing combi boiler fitted inside a cupboard in my bedroom.

Sometimes at night, I can hear a strange vibration noise coming from the boiler. When this happens, the boiler is off (I mean, no CH nor HW) and a car is passing on the street in front of my flat; when the car approaches, I can hear the vibration noise from the boiler.

This is the sound coming from the boiler (it starts after the first 5seconds):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22150844/boiler-bene.wav

I have already called a plumber. He did a check and said that everything was ok. But the noise is still here and wakes me up at night.

What are your opinions?

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the flue system is resonating with the noise of loud passing cars.

The obvious solution is to ban all cars from the vincinity!

Thanks for your answer!

It was my initial thought, but I didn't think it was possible. Do you think it can be dangerous for the boiler? And are there any solutions? (while I write to the council to ask to ban the cars :) )

It could well be that the flue is not correctly sealed into the wall.

But without inspecting it closely I cannot comment further.

One wonders what your "plumber" checked. Perhaps a boiler engineer would have been better?

Ask that plumber how and where the flue had been sealed ! I doubt that he will remember as many dont take what they do very seriously.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony.

The plumber (sent by my landlord) checked the interior of the boiler and gas pressure.

Would be useful if I post a picture of the flue from the inside? (I don't have an easy access to the outside wall since I'm on the first floor).

Doubt a picture would show what is needed.

Should be cemented round flue on outside. Being first floor that may not have been done! Actually a safety issue which should have been noted on Gas Cert but rarely is!

Should ideally be plaster sealed on the inside too. But many just use a rubber gasket instead !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back