WB Greenstar CDI or Vaillant ecoTEC Exclusive 832?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just purchased a mid terraced house and wanting to remove old traditional boiler, which has a tank in the loft and a cylinder in the bathroom, with a combi. A local Gas engineer quoted £2,300 for labour and piping only. I need to buy the boiler. He thinks 30kw is enough for a 3 bed house with 1 bathroom and kitchen, though the house is fairly large.

He would have to remove both the tank in the loft and the cylinder in the bathroom and do the necessary pipe works and place the new boiler in diff location, than existing old boiler, but still in the kitchen.

Is that a resonable price and power output?

The second question is, as the title says, which boiler would be better, if both are fitted well and system is cleaned?

Sponsored Links
I would not fit either of those boilers.

Vaillant ecotec plus 831 will more than fulfill your requirements.

Why do you want to get rid of the hot water cylinder, and go over to a combi?

Is it for increased hot water flow, or space saving in the cylinder cupboard etc?

Personally, if you are happy with your hot water flow at the moment, and there is nothing wrong with the hot water cylinder etc, then I would just change the boiler for a heat only, or system boiler, and upgrade the controls.

Not going to comment on the price, as this is not a price comparison site, except that that seems steep for labour and piping only, but then I have not seen the job.

Thanks for the reply.

like to remove the cylinder to create more space in the bathroom. At the moment the prev owner has a shower over a bath, like to have shower cubicle, as it will often be used rather than the bath, and climbing over the bath to have the usual shower, is rather cumbersome. The pressure is fine with the cold water, better than my prev flat, not tested the hot water flow yet.

On the other hand, I'm going to merge the small toilet room with the rest of the bathroom, so it will create more space with a large bathroom, probably can leave the cylinder in the airing cupboard. My local plumber suggested combi, so not familiar with heat only boiler, or system boiler.

I like to fit a non-electric mixer shower and remove the tank in the loft. Coming from a combi boiler in a flat to a house, which has a traditional boiler, the usual temptation is to fit a combi, that's also my local plumber suggested. However you comment as given me some useful options.

Please expand more.

Will it be expensive to upgrade the controls?

The prev owner already has an old heat only boiler.

Maybe some pictures will help....

If it is an old heat only boiler, then the hot water cylinder could be gravity fed, on the primary side, therefore, if you were to change just the boiler then you would need to make the system fully pumped.

Control wise, have you got a stat on the hot water cylinder?

Seperate control of the heating and hot water?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, will report back have not moved in yet, the owner is still there. Will ask him, he is an elderly chap, not sure if he would know, will report back. would try to get some photos.

Thanks for your help. This is quite complicated, thats why the main reason was to remove the lot with a simple combi. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back