Weaping pressure relief valve - Worcester greenstar 30si

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Having had a week from hell with our boiler i've got a question.

The central heating has been over pressurising during the last week up to 3bar and then out of the PRV - several times as I fault found the issue.

Problem with that was a blocked pipe to the expansion vessel - now fixed.

Central heating holding pressure as it should now and expansion vessel all ok, but...

I'm getting a single drip out of the PRV (out of the pipe outside) every 30 secs - 1min when central heating is on.

Questions are;

Has the PRV gone week due to being used a few times?
If I tried to use some central heating leak fix would this help with this issue (instead of replacing the PRV?)

I know i should really be replacing the PRV but reading the instructions it looks like a right pig to do - am just trying to avoid more boiler disassembly if I can help it!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try opening the valve to let a quick spurt of water out of the prv. There may be a bit of debris trapped in the prv's seating that needs shifting.

You may nedd a few attempts to clear it. If not, then the prv will likely need to come out.

Good thinking!

Any ideas how I would do that? The PRV is located round the back pump on mine and the only way to change it is by taking out the whole pump, heat exchanger etc etc, a reasonably big job.

Is there a good way to get it to release?!

yeah good idea if you release that prv & try and get rid of that leak sealant you have put on it-its a safety valve for your boiler and protects your system
if you block it up and overpressure again just think what it could do to weaker parts of your system

if you turn power off (no reason just safety)to boiler you can with a struggle get to the prv head underside of boiler -its on a spring lever,be careful i think these little caps come off if pushed up and not levered up(not causing damage -but a pain to clip back on or if dropped) re - pressure system
i hope this made sense good luck

Sponsored Links
you can do it from the back if you have small enough hands without taking anything out inside

Thanks everyone - I've not put any leak stuff in the system, it was just an idea!

I need to add some inhibitor at some point but thats all.

I'd better get my small hands ready then (ie the wife)

Ok - found the manual release. Took the pressure down to 0 and then left the filling loop slightly on whilst holding the release valve open then did a few open/shut/open/shut cycles to try to shift any dirt that might have been on the seal.

So far so good, can't see any drips out of it, but I'll keep an eye on the pressure over the next few days.

Hopefully have avoiding the hassle of fitting a new one!

Very helpful, thanks to all who posted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back