What does a faulty pump sound like?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I'm a long time lurker, first timer poster.

In our house we have a Linea 726 combi boiler. Its 6 years old. Over the last year it has become noisy and I've had an engineer service it in the last couple of months.

Initially having read various things about kettling I had assumed this was the noise I was hearing. The heating engineer who looked at it (who was doing this as a homer and by day is a Scottish Power heating engineer) thought that it sounded like the boiler was kettling. He did the service and said he'd get back to me.

After that the guy didnt seem very interested. Seemed very busy in his day job and eventually sent me a text to say that he had contacted the manufacturer who said the system needed a power flush.

Due to how busy the guy is and his level of interest I think the guy has made a phone call and said "the boiler is kettling" and has had the obligatory "powerflush required" answer.

Moving on, I decided instead of shelling out for that I would treat it with Fernox DS40 first. Left it in for a week and followed all the steps. Hasn't made any difference. In fact, if anything, it seems noisier than before.

When draining some water out of a rad I notice that it is foamy. Should also mentioned that the system has been bled and balanced, but that I can bleed a bit of air out of some of the rads every day. The boiler pressure isn't dropping but in fact, climbs as the system is used (which I believe is normal?)

That's the history, now to move on to the pump. I decided to investigate further tonight. With the cover on the noise is hard to pin point. I took this off and cranked the room thermostat up in order to force the boiler to fire up. The pump sits in front of the DHW heat exchanger (is this where kettling occurs?) and so at first I though the noise was coming from it and therefore a powerflush would still be required but now I'm wondering if its actually the pump that's worn out.

Whilst the boiler is making the noise, I killed the boiler by switching it off at the mains and the sound instantly stopped. If it were kettling, surely the sound would continue for a short spell as the water continues to boil in the heat exchanger rather than instantly stop when the power is switched off? Did this test a couple of times with the same result.

I should also mention that hot water from the tap seems to be taking longer to heat up but there are no sounds from the boiler when the tap is being run. This issue is purely related to the central heating system.

All rads in the house are hot, with no identifiable cold spots. So my question is does it sound like my pump is knackered and what does a dying pump actually sound like?

Thanks for wading through this and any help or insight that any one can provide will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Derek.

Sponsored Links
A pump that is going can be a squeel or a rumbling noise.

I would think it unlikely you have kettling as this is very noticeable
and at it worst you hear popping and banging. This would continue
when the boiler cuts out and you hear fizzing in the heat exchanger.

It may be that you have a dirty system and I suggest a drain down and
refill to see if there is any improvement. You will also get to see
what the colour of the water is.

Thanks for the reply mate. To my ears it actually sounds like an old Geiger counter off the telly.

I did drain down the system as part of the DS40 treatment and flushed it through until it ran clear. When draining some off it's a greeny yellow colour and is foamy on top.

I should mention that on occasion the the boiler has cut out giving an 02 (overheating) error. But this hasn't happened for a while. Temp on the boiler was sitting at 72c when I recorded this:

Please forgive the "shaky-cam" video direction. It's just the sound we're interested in obviously.

Sponsored Links
Purely a guess mate but I'd like to take a peek at the pump impeller......stick a screwdriver in your ear (blunt end :p ) put the blade on the pump and use it as a stethoscope to see if that localises the sound?
John :)

Sounds like a screw rattling on the casing or something innocuous. That would stop instantly when you switched off. If it were something spinning that wouldn't be the case.

Purely a guess mate but I'd like to take a peek at the pump impeller......stick a screwdriver in your ear (blunt end :p ) put the blade on the pump and use it as a stethoscope to see if that localises the sound?
John :)

I'll try that thanks.

Definitely not something rattling on the casing, I've checked all that out. Its definitely an "internal" noise.

Not sure as the sound isn't too good on my tablet but its definatly not kettling
It sounds to me like you have a bit of crap stuck in the inlet side of the pump impeller, as per burnermans post
If there is a speed switch on the pump try toggling that and see what difference it makes to the noise

Matt

You could check any valves in the water pipes for any looseness/
I once had a permanent rattling/tinkling whenever the pump was running. It turned out to be the valve just above it, which wasn't quite fully open, and seemed to vibrate when the pump was on. It was only a tiny adjustment, but the noise stopped completely.

But your noise does sound a lot worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back