Where to position digital room stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all.

Looking to replace Honeywell mechanical room stat with digital programmable type but not sure where to position it. Property is a 1 bed bungalow.

System: Oil burner for CH and HW
HW cylinder with cylinder stat
1 pump, 2 motorised valves (2 port, think)
Pressure vessel for CH system

Current room stat in small hallway immediately adjacent to entrance door, hallway has no radiator.
Leading off from hallway is kitchen, bathroom and livingroom.

Any advice on room stat positioning would be great plus which make of programmable room stat to purchase, reasonably priced!

Many thanks,

Keith

Forgot to mention, livingroom has wood burner!

Sponsored Links
Are you happy with the overall temperature of the bungalow now?
Usually I would say position it in the lounge but as you have a wood burner in there and if you use it its not a good idea.

Hi Armo74, not really happy with temps at moment. Although only been in here 4 weeks I've been trying to adjust trvs (not fitted on bathroom rad), temps are all over the place. On advice from some sites, it's better to have CH on constant and adjust temps on room stat. Bathroom red hot all day, hallway always cold, so temps of living room and bedroom not ideal.
Advice on web is to position room stat in room with rad but not with secondary heating, this makes it very difficult for my situation.
Also, as my wife is in most days, I need some way of controlling heat at different times of day.
All advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Wrathkeg, thanks very much, good info. So do I get the log burner ripped out so I can buy a RF room stat, this way I can place sender unit in living room!
Joking aside, I still have the dilemma deciding best place to position room stat. I will probably replace current one with wired digital programmable type then go from there. If I do fit one, provided I have the set temps higher than I need, do you think It would be wise to fit itrvs to better control individual rooms?

i'm not the person to advise on those sorts of things I am afraid.

Thanks for the info wrathkeg.

This morning i woke for work at 6am (OAT 3 DEG) to find the house very cold (No rads on) after previously setting the room stat to 16 DEG last night before going to bed. This is why i think a programmable room stat my be the answer but don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Would still welcome any suggestion / advice weather to install iTRVs or / and a programmable room stat (wired or RF) from experience others may have had.

Rgds,

Keith

Current room stat in small hallway immediately adjacent to entrance door, hallway has no radiator.
As there is no rad in the hall, there is nothing for the room stat to control. Is there any possibility of getting a rad installed in the hall?

Installing the stat in the living room is no good as the log burner is there; unless you are willing to rip the log burner out.

TRVs on all rads except the one controlled by the room stat, is a good idea.

Is the house well insulated?

Hi D_hailsham - Yes i can see your point about the stat having no heat to control, but it is not possible to install rad (renting bungalow).

I may not use log burner too often, so could opt for the RF room stat in living room. Or i could ask landlord if he is willing to rip the log burner out!!!

Still considering fitting i TRVs on all rads except the one controlled by the room stat?

Yes house is well insulated with double glazing all round.

If i do go for programmable RF room stat, does there have to be a permanent live to the current stat (Honeywell T40) as i have seen this mentioned for some makes. I have uploaded pics of current stat to my album but can't see them in Images on LH panel?

Regards

Keith

Following on from my last post...

I have now purchased a horstmann centaurstat 7 to fit over weekend. However, reading many posts on here regarding the wiring on old stats, the colours mentioned don't relate to mine. As i said, i have pictures of stat in my album but they don't appear in images on left side panel. The colour are:
1 - Brown
2 - Looks like light Brown with Blue sleeve
3 - Can't see colour but has Brown sleeve
4 - empty
Earth -

I would like to be 100% before i wire the new stat and possibly damage things.

Many thanks,

Keith

Wire as follows:

Old -- Colour -- New

1 --- Brown --- 1
2 --- (Blue sleeve) --- 4
3 --- (Brown Sleeve) --- 2

Earth: Make safe; e.g. in a terminal block.

As you have purchased the Horstmann, I assume you have decided not to go down the RF route.

D_Hailsham
Hi, i have just realised i forgot to thank you for the wire colour info. Yes i decide not to go down the RF route, a few posts on differnt sites seem to thing the wireless signals are not consistent?

Well, it's been 2 months since fitting the Centaurstat and it appear to be working fine as far as the 6 programms go. However, overall, the CH system seems to be on alot more than i would like. the L room, B room and Kitchen rads are controlled by TRVs, the bathroom is on hell of a lot trying to heat the hallway to shut off the stat (i leave bathroom door open into hallway as it gets too hot and as i am lead to believe this has to be on as a 'by-pass'.

I now think i should have gone down the RF route :( and locate stat in L room as log burner is not used.

A i mentioned, i'm a tenant so don't want to spend a fortune on system but some upgrades will save on the cost of oil.

Any thoughts appreciated

Keith

Some RF stats come with a built in stand, so they can be placed on a table, etc rather than in a fixed location. You could then experiment with different rooms or locations for it, to see which works best for you. Just remember that whichever room the stat is placed in, must have the TRV turned to max. Otherwise the stat and TRV will conflict with each other.

The Mistat fits the bill -

http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/mi-series-mi-stat-programmable/

http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-m...ss-programmable-thermostat-and-receiver/27909

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back