Which storage/high flow combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's about time I replaced the back boiler open vented system in our house to a more modern system.

We have two bathrooms served by a piddly cylinder which doesn't keep up with demand.

I know from searching for similar discussions that an unvented system would be the preferable solution, our heating engineer also said that the uv option is the best. However, the space for a separate boiler and cylinder is not there, so it's not an option. Whatever system we choose will have to sit in the airing cupboard where the existing cylinder is.

So we're left with the idea of a storage combi, while using the ex cw tank as a break tank with a monsoon extra to boost the cw feed to the combi.

So which brand and model should I go for? My installer reckons a wb highflow, he's installed them before and says that if the water flow and pressure are man enough then they are great, and he can offer them with a 4000 year warranty. But are there any others I should consider? I see viessmann do one which is pricier, and glow worm do a wall mounted one for about 1200 quid. Are either of these worth considering?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Sponsored Links
I would be looking at the Vaillant 937. Great boiler and reliable too.
7 year warranty if fitted by Advance installer.

glow-worm ultrapower sxi, I fitted one a couple of months ago and customer feedback very positive about this setup.

Thanks Jeff for your suggestion. A long warranty like that is certainly reassuring.
I think one of they key points to consider, which I forgot to ask, would be what is the hot water generation like once the store has been depleted? Only wb seem to publish this data in their literature (19 l/m on the 550, and 14 l/m on the 440)

Sponsored Links
glow-worm ultrapower sxi, I fitted one a couple of months ago and customer feedback very positive about this setup.

Yeah I've looked at these, a big fridge of a unit like the viessmann, I can't find anything on glow worm's site though? Are they discontinued?

No definately still available, no idea why there is nothing on there website, maybe they "forgot" to put it on.

Worcester 440 or 550 fiited loads, brilliant boilers and you ll get a 7/8 yr warranty if fitted by an accredited installer :D

never had one break down but nice to have the back up if req'd

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back