Why all the bg engineer bashing?

Oh FFS!! Who flushed out the little Englander Sports Jacket & Flannels Brigade??!! I can smell the moth balls from here........... :LOL:

Engineers my a.se, oily rag middle class tw.ts!!

Thanks for that, Mr. Puller, it neatly illustrates the point.

Shutes' attitudes are probably a bit dated, but then he's been dead for 60 years.

The major difference was that Britain then was the heart of the world's engineering industry. The 'upper classes', the unions and the benefit state have since destroyed that and the engineers, tool-makers and artisans have either emigrated, died or started selling insurance, solar panels or double-glazing.

Yeah, the type of books you 'put down & find it hard to pick up again'!!!
That's why Maggie shut down all these 'Engineering' industries that were not making any money. In a modern world you got to move fast to stay ahead of the game.

Sponsored Links
[ Shute valued the honest artisan and his social integrity and contributions to society, more than the contributions of the upper classes[/b]."
Indeed - the Victorian Values dear Maggie spoke of - and without her Meryl Streep would be one Oscar less :idea:

Back in the 1970s, GB was heading for third world status, and we were known as 'the sick man of Europe'. Rather like Greece now. 'Maggie', as you are pleased to call her, stopped and reversed that process. Most of the damage was caused by strikes amongst folk with good jobs. I asked a striker with a good job in the car industry back in the 70s why he was on strike - AGAIN. He said the union forced them out, so I asked why he didn't ignore them and go to work. He said he dare not do that, because he would have has house and car wrecked if he did. That is what caused our industrial decline. There was a union leader called Derek Robinson who was determined to ruin the UK car industry. He succeeded.

Sponsored Links
Back in the 1970s, GB was heading for third world status, and we were known as 'the sick man of Europe'. Rather like Greece now. 'Maggie', as you are pleased to call her, stopped and reversed that process. Most of the damage was caused by strikes amongst folk with good jobs. I asked a striker with a good job in the car industry back in the 70s why he was on strike - AGAIN. He said the union forced them out, so I asked why he didn't ignore them and go to work. He said he dare not do that, because he would have has house and car wrecked if he did. That is what caused our industrial decline. There was a union leader called Derek Robinson who was determined to ruin the UK car industry. He succeeded.

100% agree, to get on site in the 70s you needed to be a card carrying Union member & pay your subs. We had Union reps on sites all the time & a complete pain in the ar.e they were, with their smart suits etc. We all thought they were complete wa.kers & told them, we could see what they were trying to do. F.ck you BROTHER!!

Who was it that said "we've turned into a country full of double glazing salesmen, all going round selling double glazing to each other"

"Wi dont mek owt nomore"

All answers on a postcard to........

Going back to biscuit 77's orginal post as to why all the BG bashing?
well yesterday I was asked to give a proffessional opinion on a gas boiler, it is a Gledhill GB15 (15Kw heat only), BG have been round, found the flue had come apart on the boiler spigot, (which they fixed) POC's had caused the soft foam lining on the outer casing to degrade, NOW because the boiler is obsolete they say no parts avialible engineer did an AR warning notice BUT left the boiler operating???? :confused: :confused:

This foam serves no purpose as far as gas safety is concerned, the purpose of the foam is either to reduce noise, or help with the boiler's SEDBUK rating - most boilers of this type do not have a lined outer case
so personally I would find it difficult to even find it NCS, however I have managed to identyfy and secure a supply of said foam BG decided the only opetion was to rip out a 4 year old boiler at a cost of £3k!! yes Three Grand!!!!
This is the sort of thing that gets BG it's reputation! ;)

Perhaps he went to AR it, asked the customer to turn it off, but she declined. This will be why its still on.

As for the insulation foam, if it was missing, then the outer case 'MAY' get too hot, thus causing a risk to the customer in terms of a burn.

It sounds as if he was covering his a$$ from that all too familiar phone call from your SM stating a customer wants compo for some damage to a non exisitant hearth, or a burnt finger as they managed to get it past the slightly corroded flue gaurd and touch it etc etc etc etc.

Case temperature measured after 1 hour of operation 38'c max
don't BG carry electronic thermometers??

Engineer made no attempt to turn off and did not tell Custard not to use the Boiler - now if he had have turned it off and suspected that the custard my put it back on, he should have reported this to his manager for further action

I think this is a case of a young in-experienced engineer following his BG bible i'm afraid!! :eek:

now if he had have turned it off and suspected that the custard my put it back on, he should have reported this to his manager for further action
Why report it to his manager? What further action will be nessesary? Its the custards choice if they use the boiler after an at risk has been issued.

I understand the bashing BG gets at times. However, the rotten jobs and the lads that do these jobs are a small percentage of the workforce.
Theres enough **** poor work done by independants to tar all of them with the same brush. And BG do try to:LOL:

Well i hope BG has put some money away for a rainy day as it sounds like mis selling by their staff.

Hello!!

'Oh eer missus, I canna get the bits fur yer boiller, ye need a new yen'. 'That'll be £4K'

'But it's only 4 years auld son'??!!

That sort of mis-selling son!!
Edinburgh eh, short arms & deep pockets............. :LOL:

You'll find ALL the problems with bg are caused by their independent contractors. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back