Width of open gas fire, and the need for a "Combustion&

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I chose British Gas to do my cavity wall insulation, after getting surveys done by 5 different companies. I chose them because they were one of only two companies that actually drilled my walls to check the cavity width (a legal requirement, apparently), and because they were the only ones who took the time to verify that my open coal-effect gas fire was well below the 7kW threshold for a core vent. All the others said I needed a core vent.
When British Gas's contractors turned up to do my wall insulation, the first thing they did was ask to see the boiler and the gas fire.
We never got as far as the boiler, because they said the "open fire" did not meet the width threshold (~14"/40cm), and therefore needed a "combustion" vent.
Nobody had mentioned this before.
I insisted that we had ruled out the need for a core vent as it was less than 7kW, but he said that was a different regulation, and this width/combustion vent regulation had only come into effect in the past few months. He said most assessors/surveyors don't know about it.
As a result, they would not touch my walls.
I'm still waiting for an explanation from British Gas, who are looking into it.
Can anyone please tell me what this width/combustion vent regulation is?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
there has not been any reg changes on ventilation in the last few months, if the phrase you have used is the one he actually used it isnt coming from a qualified gas engineer, get back onto them and ask for a visit from someone who knows what they are doing,
PS you cannot CONFIRM a fire under 7kw does need a vent until the cavity wall insulation is done and a spillage test is carried out, it is ok to assume it may not need a vent but that isnt the same as confirming it

Thanks, Kirkgas.
The fire's only about 4kW, but we hardly ever use it, and never to provide heat. It just looks good. You can sit on the hearth in front of it when it's on.
Still haven't got an answer on the width issue from British Gas, but they're sending another crew.
Cheers,
John

I have not heard of this under 14" wide rule means it requires additional ventilation.

BG are pretty strict on the rules and the regs and this would be one of them as inadequete ventiliation is a no no.

Keep on chasing BG to get an explanation.

Sponsored Links
There would be no separate reg for this measurement the minimum width of the opening would usually be stated in manufacturers instructions for the fire .
What fire do you have .
Is it a basket type fire.
or one that sits in its own box within chimney
Photo may help.

There is certainly some carp getting spoke by some of these companies , would not have anything to do with the 100 quid plus some of them want for vents

It's a 20 year-old 18" Verine Verifire A-Plus (1.5-2.25kW).
A basket type, I think

Is this a basket fire with artificial coals? , what is the height and width of the fire place opening? , does the basket fit into the fireplace opening? , is the basket within the fireplace opening? , what do the manufactures instructions say? ventilation is required for any DFE regardless of input rating.

It's a basket fire with artificial coals.
The 20 year-old instructions says there must be a permanent air-vent of effective area of at least 15.5 sq. inches (100 cm2), The vent must either be to outside air or to an adajcent room having a permanent vent of the same area.
The the fire place opening is 19x19".
The basket fits inside the fireplace opening, with a 0.5-1.0"gap to the sides.

The 20 year-old instructions says there must be a permanent air-vent of effective area of at least 15.5 sq. inches (100 cm2), The vent must either be to outside air or to an adajcent room having a permanent vent of the same area.

Well there you have it , a vent is required.

With regard to the width of basket/ventilation I would say the guy is talking ****e , there is no such reg , unless he was refering to the kw rating/chimney throat I don't know , but considering the input rating is less than 20 kw then a moot point. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back