Wireless room stat with Drayton Tempus 7?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all. I don't currently have a room stat so the boiler is controlled purely on time with a trv on each rad.

I'm thinking about a wireless room stat and was wondering if they're compatible with the tempus 7 programmer?

Current set up:

Saunier duval xenon system boiler
Cylinder in loft with strap stat
Mid port valve in loft switching between heating/hot water/both
7 day programming with independently controlled hot water/heating

Also, are costs close enough to make it worth considering ditching the tempus for an all in one wireless stat and programmer?

Oh, and I'm after a low cost solution wherever possible :D

Sponsored Links
Yes, a wireless room stat will be a suitable addition to the Tempus and your ch system. Should be quite straightforward to wire in.

If you're keeping costs to a min, it would probably be best to keep the Tempus, as it's a modern programmer and I can't see a gain in ripping it out and going completely wireless.

As for the low cost solution, when it comes to wireless, one word - don't. Budget wireless stats seem like a good idea at the time, but are more likely to play up and fail early. If you're not in a hurry, I would trawl around on Ebay for a quality make if you want to save money. Preferably Honeywell, next choices Danfoss and Drayton.

Something like this -

http://www.directheatingsupplies.co...spx?agid=586&gclid=CMDR97yR5rUCFczHtAodJ3UAqg

Others on here -

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/digital-thermostats-c-21_33.html

The cheapest and most reliable way to add a stat, is a wired version if this is possible.

Whitespirit,

I suppose I could hardwire fairly easily, I just fancied the convenience of wireless :rolleyes:

Anyway, how do I go about selecting one that's compatible? What voltage/amperage will I need. Ideally I want to avoid mains voltage if possible.

Cheers again,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Mike.

Most stats, wired or wireless, will be OK. Your system uses 240V to send power from the programmer to the boiler and pump. The room stat is just an extra switch that makes or breaks this power from prog. to boiler and pump. Most stats are suitable for mains or low voltage (usually combis) switching.

If you can possibly run cables unobtrusively from stat location to your ch system wiring centre, then a wired stat will be much cheaper and more reliable. Something like this -

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/honeywell-dt90e-digital-room-thermostat-p-481.html

You also have to decide if you want a stat only to control temps, or a programmable stat to do timings as well instead of relying on tempus programmer. If you are happy with the timing options offered by the Tempus, then just get stat only as will poss be cheaper.

WS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back