Wood burner, giving off a nasty smell, please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have moved into a small property in Spain, that has a small wood burner in the living /kitchen room.
The man we rent from, ordered us our wood, as we didnt know what kind of wood to get.
Anyway all was going well, nice and cosy, with our wood burner keeping us warm, yes even in spain it gets cold in the winter months.
But we both starting feeling a little unwell, and I seemed to be getting a headache, but I just put this down to the Sangria.
But last nght the smell got worse, alot worse and I could hear what sounded like a sizzling sound coming from the flu that runs up through the ceiling and into the bedroom above, the flu in the bedroom above is all boxed in with no way of getting to it. As the sizzling got worse a liquid started to run down the flu pipe onto the wood burner itself, this is what was giving of the nasty smell. We contacted the guy who lives next door and he said its sap from the wood and we are burning the wrong wood. I dont know what to make of all this. but we are not going to use the wood burner again until this is fixed.
do any of you have any ideas what has happened to make this nasty smelling sticky stuff run down the flu. I think I have att 2 photos of the flu.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but I doubt whether sap would be able to rise up inside the flue then run back down the outside.
Especially if properly installed.

It sounds to me like the wood is still 'green'. Leave it to dry out and get some new stuff.

Sponsored Links
But we both starting feeling a little unwell, and I seemed to be getting a headache, but I just put this down to the Sangria.

That could be symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, so I'd suggest you get a digital CO alarm, check the fresh air inlets to the room and don't use the stove if in any doubt about it. CO is odourless and very toxic.

The pitch and resins in the wood evaporate when it is hot and will condense in the flue. It could be that deposits in a masonry chimney that are being melted by an uninsulated metal flue, or it could be pitch from the wood you burn that is condensing in a cold masonry flue.

I would certainly get a CO alarm.

CO release would/could cause the symtoms suggested, and would be down to a leak of flu gases into the house/room.

The residue looks very much like condenstate from the flu gasses, you get it with all fuels to a certain extent, but its worse we green wood. However, regardless of how green it is, it shouldnt be running down the outside of the flu, outside of the chimney and onto the roof maybe, but now down the flu, which again would point to a failed joint, non continous flu. Although there is an ofchance its old residue from a reused flu, ive not seen or heard of this before. Obviously if your burning wood you bought from the landlord, he cannot use the excuse of it being the wrong wood, unless he offered to replace/refund all your wood!

Daniel

The flu is a metal one all the way through the roof, its just boxed in, in the bedroom above. and yes a seal must have broken for the sap to escape, let alone any gases which in itself is a problem. There are no air vents or air bricks what so ever in the house, a open window would be the only way to vent. Like you say the landlord ordered the wood, so he should share some blame, if not all of it. The really bad smell was the sap running down the outside of the flu and then being baked onto it. Its bloody stank. We will not use the fire until the landlord has taken a look and fixed the problem. And being in Spain, when he does that, is anyones guess. And yes a CO2 alarm is a must.

That's why flues are insulated over here - to stop the gases condensing in the flue and running down. They vent to the air before that happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back