Worcester 24i combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi; Need some advice about fault on Worcester 24i that's packed-up...not surprising as its been very reliable for 18 years!. Only ever replaced heating pump and pressure and flow switch over years but now can't get DHW or CH. Powr light on steady, fan starts and seems to rev up fine. Heating pump running fine during programme and pressure switch seems to be working (clicks when fan starts to run & both pipes clear) Water pressure ok 1.5 bar and steady. Get some clicking from pcb controls but no ignition. Problem originally started about 10 days ago - heating became intermittent when on. HW seemed fine, not really noticeable for loss of temp but did occasionally need tap turning off and then on again to get demand of HW. There is a sensor internally strapped to CH feed with 2 red wires to pcb. Touching this got the boiler working again for a short while but stopped firing-up at all this evening. Has anyone got any tips or knowledge of this type of problem?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate you're time and thoughts. I've managed to get the thing fired-up again this evening and think I've found the problem. I mentioned the switch above and that when I touched the wire on that once before, the boiler started for a short while. It seems I must have also been touching or moving a wire from the pressure switch as well. I've found the brown (Live) from the pressure switch seems to be the trace of the fault. When I move the terminal that connects it to the actuator on the pressure switch it starts to work and remains fine until pressure is taken off the plastic connector shroud. The pressure switch itself is working fine, its the mechanical electrical switch that is attached that is causing the problem. The type is a mechanical 3 pin enclosed lever type actuator - I've come across these before as a cause of other electrical problems on other things and the good news is replacements are easily located on internet, although the one connected to this pressure switch is fastened by rounded off plastic pins. Anyway my guess from what I have found is that the bi-metal bars or connectors in the actuator have failed (I've experienced them corroding and failing through general wear before). As I said, I twiddled it and got the boiler fired up. managing to slightly bend switch terminal so it remains effective for now. I'm not going to bother replacing just the electric switch, I'll replace the whole pressure switch which has the electric switch fastened to it already. The whole episode has convinced me to keep-on looking for a good deal on a replacement boiler, probably won't be as lucky next break down. It'll be buying Worcester again. Once again, thanks for your interest guys. New to this website but will defo use it again for (hopefully) other tips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back