Worcester 28Si II Red light flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have the above boiler and over the last week or two the red light has started to flash. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow. I have read the manual but it only provides limited information and no suggestions for long term remedy. Resetting does work sometimes but the problem returns. The boiler has also started to make what I would call 'straining' noises when firing up. Any ideas or quick fixes to suggest as to what could be causing this before I get someone in?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
theres not a lot you can do other than check pressure.

your problem is either fan pcb or air press switch

pcb retails at about£200, so i would get someone out who will get the diagnosis right because an aps is about £30

worcester do a fixed repair including parts (£250) so dont pay more than that
was at a ladies house yesterday who who paid someone £420 for a pcb change on a a junior ( nice money if you can get it)

Thanks Boilerdoktor - just a slightly random question - is it common for the pressure gauge to fail on these boilers?

pcb retails at about£200, so i would get someone out who will get the diagnosis right because an aps is about £30

worcester do a fixed repair including parts (£250) so dont pay more than that
was at a ladies house yesterday who who paid someone £420 for a pcb change on a a junior ( nice money if you can get it)

So what you mean is Worcester can put a £200 RRP on a part that costs them a few quid to make, but an independent engineer has to pass it for cost, fit it for a pittance and do the call backs FOC if it fails.

Sponsored Links
Yes they become blocked thus not sensing correctly or at all. What pressure is it giving?

Hi, It was showing adequate pressure (1.5ish) but I have just put the pressure up to 'max' and all the noises have stopped and it seems to be working fine. Could an underpressured system be the cause of the initial symptoms I described?

Thanks again.

2.5 is too high, you have an expansion/prv lifting as a result problem. I guarantee you will be back asking for more advice :rolleyes:

Thanks Gas2Air.

The pressure sensor is a bit funny. It doesn't move straight away e.g. if I put the pressure up now it won't register any change for a while, if at all. Are these a big job to change/unblock to ensure I am getting a correct reading?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back