Worcester Bosch 37 CDi - displaying EA code during high wind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,

We have a 3 or 4 year old WB 37 CDi, vented to the side of out house. It's not a particularly open area round there: walls on 3 sides. It was moved 18 months ago to it's current location, when we had a new room built at the back of the house.

Everytime the wind becomes bad, which has been a *lot* in the last couple of weeks in Fife, the boiler stops working, displaying an EA fault code. It does have to get *really* windy before this happens. Last night for example, I had to press the reset button 5 times in 90 mins, before I gave up, and just stuck the fire in the living room on, and let the rest of the house go cold.

Boiler is serviced every year under a Scottish Gas maintenance contract.

The questions:

if the wind blowing up the flue is indeed the problem, then can something be build around it to stop this happening, but still letting it vent?

Or is there an official add-on to the flue to stop the wind affecting it?

Or do we need to have the flue moved somewhere else (although given the position of the boiler, I don't see where else it can go)?

Will any work be covered by the service contract, or will they claim it's an installation fault?

How fast can a cheetah run?

9*5?

Cheers,

Keith.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have a British Gas installed 532i (similar but smaller model to yours). Sorry to sound patronising but are you sure it's definitely the wind thats causing the problem?

I ask because my boiler has had problems in the past (locking out with EA error code, meaning flame not found). After numerous visits by British Gas the fault was found to be a build up of grit in the condensate trap causing a backlog of water and gas that couldnt be expelled out. The boiler would bang and groan for a minute or so before locking out. If left turned off for a day or so the waste would gradually escape and the boiler would work for a time.

I pay BG to repair and service the boiler but they do not (not for me anyway) clean the trap as part of the service. BG's solution is to offer to install an anti-sludge valve for £250 (on top of the thousands you pay for the installation and homecare). So you have time off work for the service and time off again when it fails between services.

If it's definitely due to the wind and not a blocked trap or lack of gas getting in then I'm not sure what to suggest.... hope it gets sorted though!

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm 100% sure it's down to the windy weather. The boiler operates normally up to including mildly windy weather, but when it starts blowing a gale, it shuts down repeatedly, each time flashing an EA code.

Cheers,

Keith.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough, hope it gets sorted.

As an aside my boiler broke down again this morning. U9 and F0 error codes. BG coming tomorrow morning....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back