worcester greenstar 24i junior boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there
I have just descovered my boiler leaking when the heating is on and i have traced it to what i think is the pressure relief valve, its not coming from the pipe or nut, i have looked where the pipe goes outside and it looks clear, does any one have any ideas what could be causing it to leak? the running pressure says between 1.5 and 2 bar!
many thanks if anyone can help!

Sponsored Links
hi there
I have just descovered my boiler leaking when the heating is on and i have traced it to what i think is the pressure relief valve, its not coming from the pipe or nut, i have looked where the pipe goes outside and it looks clear, does any one have any ideas what could be causing it to leak? the running pressure says between 1.5 and 2 bar!
many thanks if anyone can help!

sorry Im confused what makes you think it is coming from the PRV if as you say the pipe is clear ?? normal practice to see if your pressure drop is because of the PRV is to attach a plastic bag with an elastic band over the end of the PRV and see if water appears inside the bag? a boiler going from 1.5 bar to 2 Bar dependant on size of system is perfectly normal

thanks for replying.
sorry i mean when i turn the heating on the pressure is ok but reading the boiler manual its the prv thats leaking, it just spurts water out & runs down the pipe, i carnt see anything loose, i was wondering if someting inside the prv might have gone & need a new prv??
hope this makes abit more sense!

A PRV or pressure releif valve is a spring loaded valve, set at in your case but not always 3 Bar, and if the pressure in your boiler/system rises above 3 Bar then it will open and release the pressure in order to protect your boiler and pipework, there are a few causes of this valve passing water but it might just be doing what it is designed to do , does the pressure ever reach close to 3 bar ?

Sponsored Links
sorry for the delay
thankyou, funnily enough it did reach 3 bar as i think i had air in the system, but i have the pressure to 1.5 bar now and it did start to leak again, if the pressure does reach that to what its designed for will it damage the prv and have to get another or should it be fine as it is if the pressure goes back to normal, do you know
thankyou again for the advice

Once they have opened then some dirt can get on the seat.

Very often they drip for a few days and then stop !

Tony

hello
thankyou to all that helped me, i bled all the air out of the system and when the boiler runs flat out it stays around 1.5 bar, and doesnt leak, i think what happened is the pressure kept rising until the prv passed but instead of going down the inside of the pipe to go outside, it overflowed and went all over the floor, i will keep my eye on it, the system maybe drawing in air from somewhere, will see how it goes

thankyou all again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back