Worcester Greenstar Junior 28i provides DHW but not CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Seeing as this forum has been so helpful in the past I thought I'd finally register and submit a problem, seeing as it appears to be quite an unusual issue.

We've got a Worcester Greenstar Junior 28i, it currently provides hot water without problem - usual level of heat, usual delay in warming up, but nothing out of the ordinary.

However the central heating simply doesn't work. If the thermostat is turned up it will illuminate the green ON light on the "WR1" next to the boiler, but this doesn't illuminate the burner light on the boiler itself, and no heat is produced. I can't hear any unusual sounds, but it's quite noisy in that room due to the current weather so I wouldn't be able to pick up anything subtle.

Resetting the boiler with the reset button, and powering if off and on, doesn't make a difference.

If I turn the WR1 and boiler off, then back on, then reconnect the thermostat with the WR1, and then turn the thermostat up, the boiler does come on temporarily, but only for a couple of minutes - then it turns off and only supplies DHW again. It doesn't come on for long enough for me to tell if any heat reaches the radiators.

I've checked the gas supply - I can run a hob on the gas cooker for several minutes without a problem, so I'm presuming there's no issues there.

I've also checked the pressure, it was near the bottom of the green "indicators", but I've filled it back up, no change.

The condensing pipe is fine, I'm familiar with the boiler's "gurgle" when that's a problem ;)

Of course British Gas's 24 hour response time is nearer 48 again... so any suggestions of things to try before they arrive would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
A lot of problems with wireless stats are sorted with new batteries, your stat does not send a signal to the relay and then retire for the night, the stat has to keep sending a signal so that the relay stays on, does your relay have an override button,? if it does you can prove its a problem with the boiler or the stat.

Sponsored Links
Try changing the batteries in the sender unit.

The signal is being received correctly by the WR1 because the "RECEIVE" light flashes, and then the "ON" light comes on; this is definitely a problem with the boiler, rather than the thermostat.

this is definitely not a prob with boiler...just because the receive light is on it doesn t mean the boiler is receiving 240v ac at LR on the boiler.

if you know a plumber/spark they can link it out and the boiler will fire

A lot of problems with wireless stats are sorted with new batteries, your stat does not send a signal to the relay and then retire for the night, the stat has to keep sending a signal so that the relay stays on, does your relay have an override button,? if it does you can prove its a problem with the boiler or the stat.

The batteries have been replaced on the sender unit, the old batteries have been tested and were fine, I'm still seeing the same issue.

The relay does have an override button, but that doesn't appear to do anything - i.e. it doesn't make the WR1 illuminate its "on" light, let alone start up the boiler.

this is definitely not a prob with boiler...just because the receive light is on it doesn t mean the boiler is receiving 240v ac at LR on the boiler.

if you know a plumber/spark they can link it out and the boiler will fire

"link it out"? What does that mean, I'm not familiar with the term.

And if the boiler starts most of time, but not all of the time, when the "on" light is illuminated on the WR1, doesn't that logically mean there is a problem between the boiler and WR1, therefore we can't rule out the boiler as the source of the problem?

The RF receiver is made by Invensys Controls (eg: Drayton) and the relay boxes often fail where the indicator suggests it is working when it isn't.

So there is every chance your problem is the plug in controller. Unless of course, you know better?

The RF receiver is made by Invensys Controls (eg: Drayton) and the relay boxes often fail where the indicator suggests it is working when it isn't.

So there is every chance your problem is the plug in controller. Unless of course, you know better?

Spot on - the BG engineer took one quick look at the situation and decided to replace the WR1, and ( fingers crossed ) it's working so far :)

When I read around this issue a couple of weeks ago there was a lot of talk about the relays - out of interest is this a design fault, or are they just cheap kit?

The signal is being received correctly by the WR1 because the "RECEIVE" light flashes, and then the "ON" light comes on; this is definitely a problem with the boiler, rather than the thermostat.

:oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back