xtrafast 120 - How to test pump is working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. Under pressure from the wife I fired up the central heating yesterday evening (why - it's only September!) for the first time since last winter.

Unfortunately the majority of the radiators haven;t come on, only the three nearest the boiler (I suspect due to heat conduction as opposed to water flow). I can't hear any swishing noises and the boiler heats up the water in short bursts - i,e, 5 secs to heat to set temp, then off until temp drops -suggesting it is only heating a small amount of water, and that the pump is not working. Is that a reasonable diagnosis? Theie are no fault indications on the boiler.

First impression are it could be the pump - so I'm going to drain the system (and flush it whilst I'm at it), remove the pump and have a look - is their anything I should look for when checking the pump? I'm going to take it into work and get the sparky to bench run it - is that not a good idea (dry running it)?

Other alternatives are the bleed valve on top of the pump (its missing its cap - could that cause a problem), or the flow sensor (if that was faulty would it stop the pump?).

Thanks in advance. Jim

Sponsored Links
Your pump is probably just jammed, first make sure that there is water in the system then undo the big screw in the middle of the pump keep a towel handy as there will be some water, use a small flat headed screwdriver and spin the pump anti clockwise, the pUmp should start up.

See photo - instead their is a serrated cap - I've slowly unscrewed it but a lot of water started coming out - so it looks as though i may have to bleed it down and remove it - unless anyone knows what to do with this type of pump.

Sponsored Links
The black knob on the front was actually a dust cover - onve removed their is a sprung screw which connects with the pump - which is turning. I can also turn the pump by, hand using the screw (shwn power to the pump is off).

Now have 3 upstairs and 2 downstairs rads working - no luck on other 4 downstairs rads though. Have drained system from 3 downstairs drain points, plus removed on rad and wired up a drain to where TRV was - and flushed the system in all cases - still no joy with remaining radiators though - I guess it's just a case of systematic bleeding and waiting.

Is it possible the pump is not generating enough flow?

The water heats from 35 to set 75, holds 75 for only a few secs, and then drops back down to 35 - is that a sensible cycle or should it hold 75 for longer?

After taking out the 3 valve internals I sussed it was siezed - I've freed it and will see if it works - unfortunately the pump appears knackered as well - I've taken it out and when you turn the end screw their is a grating noise.

I suspect that when I;ve been pressing the screw in to determine if the pump is turning its shaved some plastic off the shaft end - and that is whats causing the grating - the plastic is stuck between the impellor and caseing - unfortunately I cannot take the sealed casing off to check.

I've tried flushing the pump but but it still grates.

With pump installed the boiler reports fault 05 - shich is symptomatic of faulty thermister (I swapped the DHW and CH around so couldn't be that), or blocked/stuck pump. The pump is turning but probably not fast enough tp generate enough flow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back