Yorkshire, Compression, Ordinary Soldered?? Plastic/copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am probably going to open a whole can of worms here as I am sure that everyone has different opinions! lol

I am soon to be moving some radiators, and installing new bath, shower, wash basin etc.

I am wondering what people advise as best in regards to connections etc.

I do not have any real experience with pipe work, I have done little bits of pipe diy such as fit radiator valves and a shower before etc but not anything extensive.

The pipes I have running around the house are 15mm copper.

So, what would people recommend I am best doing given my limited experience?

1) For connecting pipes together, yorkshire, compression, push fitting, ordinary soldered etc
2) Type of pipe to use, copper or plastic

Any other advice people can give I would appreciate - I am moving a radiator, and when putting new bath and shower in I am moving taps - probably to mount on the wall

Sponsored Links
Yorkshire fittings look easy enough.

Prefilled with solder then just heat up? What can go wrong :eek:

Easiest, Push-fit, followed by compression, using either copper, PEX or polybutylene pipe.

Most reliable, end feed (normal solder), solder ring (Yorkshire), preferrably using copper pipe, not plastic. ;)

Cheapest, end feed.

Sponsored Links
Copper + soldering is more expensive, takes more time and is difficult if you're not experienced. It's one thing making a joint on a work bench in a vice but on your back behind a bath???

I'm not a fan of compression fittings because it doesn't take much pipe movement to shift the joint and cause a leak. Plastic is better because it'll move all day long without a problem.

Plastic is the way to go, especially for DIYers.

I'm not a fan of compression fittings because it doesn't take much pipe movement to shift the joint and cause a leak.

So how do you join plastic pipe without compression fittings - that you are not a fan of?

Plastic will move more that copper and the compression fitting will give quicker.

Copper is proper...

If the OP is going to use plastic pipe, why would he use anything else to join it other than Push-Fit fittings?

If I had to, I would use inserts and brass compressions.

Though I do make good money from DIYr's who's push-fits that have failed.

Movement is designed into Push-fit fittings so they don't leak if they do move, brass compression won't.

Brass compression is the wrong way to connect plastic pipes together but it can be done if needs be.

Soldered copper pipe and fittings are obviously best, not solder-ring though! That's the lazy mans choice. End feed all the way! Good to keep some Yorkshire on the van for awkward situations though.

Plastic and push-fit is really good because lots of people these days are on a tight budget and it saves on materials and labour costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back