zip inline water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this refers to a earlier posting ive bought a zip inline instantaneous water heater 5lts a min .. ive tested it out with a ordianary handset, the temperature is a max 55c but on testing by thermometer it only reaches 37c and its a direct cold feed into the heater...the flow is good.will there be a problem with the heater itself or is this normal with this kind of heater..

kind regards

Sponsored Links
it's normal bullseye and will vary with the cold water temperature too. The 55DegC would be optimal at a given water flow rate and at max setting I would think though I believe these heaters would be factory set at 38DegC? What model is it?

OK, so according to the specs it will raise the incoming water temp by 25DegC @ 5 l/min at 9.6Kw (Δt = 25°C) or 4.1 L/Min @ 7.2Kw.
So if your incoming cold water is say 15DegC, the output will be approx 40DegC @ 5 l/min @ 9.6Kw.
To get it any higher you would need to turn the hot tap down to slow the flow.
I assume you had it set at 9.6Kw at installation time and you have it set to the Max of 55DegC?

Sponsored Links
spot on with all that..thing is ive just done a trial with cold water in and a shower handset on the output to see wat flow I get and the right temp to see if its compatable with a fixed head in the ceiling...ive got the flow but 5deg short on temp for a normal hot shower

Unfortunately then you're at the limit of your installation and it will get lower as winter sets in and the cold water inlet temperature drops I'm afraid

The brochure for the Zip Inline CEX-O says the temp can be set to between 30 and 55°C.
It also states that the power rating can be set at installation to 6.6 or 8.8kw.
Could that be an issue?

I hope you realised when you bought it that its hardly suitable for a proper shower. 4 li/min will wash you but not as most expect a boiler supplied shower to be.

I would have expected they are really designed primarily for hand washing!

im going to put a shut off valve on the hot water to act as a tap then see how far it has to close to reach a decent temperature then hopefully still got a good flow...if it don't work only option is a electric shower then there will be a water heater goin cheap

A 24 kw boiler will give about 8.5 litres per minute at a good temperature!

You can work back from that flow rate according to your heater power.

So 8 kW would give a little less than 3 li/min for example.

ok then...ive put an isolating valve on the hot outlet to act as a tap so to reduce the out flow and hey presto its just as the bloke at zip sed...no different to a electric shower...works perfect got the temp up to 51deg could go higher but it was scalding and the flow was very generous,that was wif a ordinary 75mm shower head so there shouldn't be to much difference with a shower valve and a 140 fixed shower head ..

just been looking at fixed shower heads and most haf got 1.0 bar or 0.5 bar mp...im not clued for bar pressure so can anyone shed a light if I haf mains pressure to this heater wat bar rating would that be and am I right in thinking a reduce flow on the hot outlet would reduce the bar to the shower head cos if im not getting min 0.5 bar it wont work.

kind regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back