1.5 yr old warm roof blown off - Contractor liable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm looking for advice for an elderly neighbour and any knowledge would be greatly appreciated...a new flat roof has completely blown off. Winds have been high but here in Scotland we get it every year and the previous roof lasted 20 years....anyway, the roof...

The house is 1850 stone cottage with 11inch joists and flat roof. A warm roof was laid directly on top of the pre-existing roof and consisted of 100mm foam (randomly adhered with tar 'blobs') overlaid with 2 felt layers.

The whole lot was framed with 2 by 4 and nailed to the existing roof with wire nails spaced every 4 foot or so...which seems inadequate, but I'm not aware of the UK standards...

Any help would be much appreciated as the contractor has come back and said that it's not his fault :confused: Our neighbour is a widow and totally confused and stressed...

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I don't know the specifics of scots law, but clearly any roof should be designed and constructed to prevent it being ripped off in high winds .... which is not something which would be reasonably unexpected in the UK.

A duty of care and responsibility for any professional to undertake works correctly would be implied.

Basically the roof should be firmly fixed or strapped down to deal with high winds.

If the contractor denies liability, then I would expect that a report from a professional person (surveyor or suchlike) would be needed to prove to a court that the roof was not built properly.

If you have trading standards up there, speak with them. Or get legal advice ... possibly via the insurance policy, which may offer this service

Sponsored Links
4x2 should be screwed at 300mm centres and insulation board should have been fully bonded in hot bitumen or mechanically fixed with butterfly washers. It should at least have been butterflied around the perimeter.

It sounds like a lash up to me.

Thanks for the replies, I've just been up there again trying to get it watertight , it's shocking to see that she's been left with half her roof missing! The insurance company are trying to dodge to bullet.

Thanks again, I'll give Trading Standards a call tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back