2 quotes for flat roof, which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wonder if any one can help. I have 2 quotes for a new flat roof, which has decking on the top. One guy recommended felt, one asphalt, I asked both why but they contradict each other :confused:

Felt guy says:
Use felt because it is an old house and likely to be movement. If the movement causes asphalt to crack, it can't be easily repaired as decking is on top.

Asphalt guy says:
Use asphalt because no lead flashings will be needed (is this true? Felt guy says it isn't) and these cause the most issues with felt roofs. Also, don't recommend felt where decking is on top

Any opinions out there?

Sponsored Links
If a good quality felt is used it should last about 20 years if done well.

An Asphalt roof should last longer and would be my preferred option, but the asphalt should be ended at a free standing kerb and have a Lead flashing turned into a chase and lap over the asphalt

Thanks Palaceray - The asphalt guy said, "lead flashing not needed as the asphalt is tucked into the chase" - I have no knowledge of the technical details to roofs, would this sound right?

Sponsored Links
If you tuck the asphalt into a chase it is likely to crack because there will always be more movement in the roof than the brickwork which is why a freestanding kerb is better.

Neither, Fatra is your best bet, or any other single ply system, no one uses asphalt or felt anymore

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back