Adding insulation (warm roof) on an asphalt flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The flat roof of the house I have bought was replaced in 2007 with an asphalt one by a reputable company. However no insulation was added, by choice of the previous owners. It's a 1970, two storey mid-terrace.

I'm investigating a warm roof and would like to know is there any reason why I cannot add insulation then felt on top? I have been told another asphalt covering would be too heavy, which sounds reasonable. Or what about EPDM? It seems about twice as expensive, but would last a lot longer. 50 years as opposed to 15/20?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Brod.

Sponsored Links
You can add insulation to asphalt as long as the asphalt is good condition and any problems rectified,you would bond the insulation to base material and then overlay in what material you choose to the manufactures spec.You could go with a liquid solution such as polyroof protec,or Triflex or kempur however these can only be laid by approved installers.

Sponsored Links
Asphalt can be used as the vapour barrier as long as its envoloped at perimeters/upstands. And liquid systems are ****e.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back