Chimney REMOVAL due to damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to this forum so bear with me :D I live in a 5 bed victorian detached house, and have 2 working chimneys (but dont use them). Moved in 6 yrs ago and over last 2 yrs noticed damp and smell in two upstairs rooms ceiling level, plaster bubbling etc and badly stained. Got a local roofing company, highly recommended by people who have had work done by them. He said the chimneys are saturated as are the breasts (you can see it from the outside, i hadnt noticed :oops: ).
He said if i dont use the fires then best and most effective option is to remove the chimneys and seal off at roof level (not taking away whole breast). Is talking about £2500 for the job (will get an accurate quote in a few days).

Does this make sence to anyone out there?

Cheers all :cool:

Sponsored Links
older chimneys can be troublesome. If you will never use them again removal is an option.
You could have them rebuilt will updated tray systems and cowls.

Costs, difficult to say as no picture of stacks or access..

Sponsored Links
IMO removal of the stack into the loft is a good idea as it will remove the need for future maintenance. The roof needs to be rebuilt well over the gap. The flues do not need to be capped at the top as they are now inside the fabric of the house and this will keep them ventilated. You will however occasionally drop torches and small tools down them.

View media item 59398
View media item 59399
Thanks for the replies so far folks, much appreciated.

Re the price, these are the two that need removed (sorry but pics uplaoded like that :eek: )

Can I ask those more knowledgeable than me a couple of other questions?

1. Is the only REAL remedy for this problem (as described in top post) removal of stacks - ie can they not be sealed etc from inside or will this just put off the inevitable removal?

2. If I had been using my open fires now and again, could this saturation problem have been avoided or was it always going to happen given the age (1907) of the house?

Many thanks again folks :cool:

I would keep them they are in keeping with the period and are a feature of the building, it will also most likely affect the value of the property.

Get them re-pointed, flashings etc... get them cleaned and light a fire in them a few times a year.

looks like the left one has had the top rebuilt... could be wrong.

quite an involved job removing these particular chimneys due to design.

usually the main issues are lack of use and or lack of trays within the stack

there is no hope sealing anything from the inside.

IMO removal of the stack into the loft is a good idea as it will remove the need for future maintenance. The roof needs to be rebuilt well over the gap. The flues do not need to be capped at the top as they are now inside the fabric of the house and this will keep them ventilated. You will however occasionally drop torches and small tools down them.

Eh? You'll have condensation and rot in your roof if you do that.

Your problem is moist warm air from the house condensing in the chimney. Best bet is to stop that air going up the chimney then it can't condense up there and cause a problem.

looks like the left one has had the top rebuilt... could be wrong.

quite an involved job removing these particular chimneys due to design.

usually the main issues are lack of use and or lack of trays within the stack

there is no hope sealing anything from the inside.

Thanks data, think with the left one its just the way the sun is shining on it :cool: Can trays (what ever they are?) be fitted? And if they were, by lighting the fires now and again is there any chance the problem could be solved without stack removal and getting them repointed / new flashing etc instead?

Pots need capping and chimney venting. Can't dry out without thru ventilation.

I just had a roofer out (the bro of a good friend) and he had 2 of his roofers with him. Looked at damp inside and got the ladders out and up onto the roof on both sides. The flashing and lead had all come away at both chimneys and he felt that by re-leading and sealing the problem could be fixed. Said he has been out at alot of properties where 'the stacks have to go' but by completing the above the problem was sorted. Is coming back to me later with a quote. Fingers crossed I might be able to keep my stacks..... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back