Concern of roof structure collapsing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Last night I went up into my loft and noticed something odd. Take into account the loft is half boarded with standard mixed floorboards, half chipboard, and other bits.

As soon as I came up the hatch, I saw a floorboard had literally sprung up and bent upward. My first thought was that the joists had somehow moved from the last time I'd seen the board a few days ago, but that doesn't make much sense as I suppose the plaster in the room below would have at the very least slightly cracked.

I've then looked a little bit further it and noticed that the bracing timbers that support the purlins (sort of similar structure to the image below) are bent badly and I though maybe that had something to do with it.

Roof_framing_members_1.jpg

Anyway, while I appreciate it's hard for anyone ot give any real advice without looking at the issue first hand, can anyone provide any sort of feedback from the info above?

Thanks in advance! :D

Sponsored Links
I obviously don't have one handy otherwise I would have done :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Has your roof been re-covered?

What I mean by this is has it been re-tiled in a heavier material for which it was originally intended? Some roofs are mistakenly re roofed in say heavy concrete tiles that were originally only meant for lighter slates. Have a look at the neighbours if you are not sure.

Is there any visible sag from the outside?

Has anyone messed about with any of the bracing or support timbers whilst boarding out the loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back