Cracked Asbestos outhouse roof shared with neighbour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an 1950s outbuilding that shares an asbestos corrugated cement roof with the neighbour. It has two skins with a gap of about 25mm between them. There is a massive crack in an outer panel on our side and a massive, bowing crack on the inner layer on our side.

We would prefer to take it down ourselves taking necessary precautions as outlined by HSE but the problem is it is integrated with next doors roof.

This means we could easily take off the top layer from our side, but then we would need to cut back the neighbours panels (I have already spoken to our neighbour - housing association and they will do nothing about there side) which overhang onto our side by about a meter. Then we would have to cut through the inner layer composed of more overlapping panels.

I would really like advice on whether we should pay to get it removed properly or could we put up a framework for a new ceiling inside that would support the bowing panels, and just replace the easily removed outer layer. The cheapest solution, but would it work longterm?

thanks
ps, we don't have much money.

The roof:
- slopes down from our side to the neighbours
- has two skins approx 25mm gap between.
- the panels overlap lengthways.

Sponsored Links
I would really like advice on whether we should pay to get it removed properly or could we put up a framework for a new ceiling inside that would support the bowing panels, and just replace the easily removed outer layer. The cheapest solution, but would it work longterm?

---- Put up the framework and seal over the crack with some gunk ;) The issues with H+Safety / asbestos-cement / Housing association owned property. Really prohibit you messing about with it :cry: . If it was your own shed in isolation it would be a different ball game

A photo would be great to see whats going on ! do you have a digital camera?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back