Damp sarking boards on new slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The sarking boards on my new slated roof of my garage are damp , but on one pitch only. The front pitch is bone dry but the rear pitch is wet to touch, with the roof trusses also damp on this elevation. No evident signs of slipped slates . If it was condensation would have expected both pitches to be damp , if it was a leak would have thought it would be confined to one patch. Breathable membrane has been laid under slates . One end gable is feeling damp as well . Block construction. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Hi , roof pitch is 40 degrees. I just can't understand why one side is wet and the other dry. It can't be condensation if only one side affected .?

Well if the roof has been slated correctly at that pitch then you can not rule out condensation.

Sponsored Links
Condensation will occur on the coldest surface.

Breathable membrane is a waste of time on a sarkin roof unless the slate are on battens.

what direction is the damp side facing?
condensation can be localised
a picture showing good detail will help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back