Does this lead flashing need fixing/dressing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've uploaded the above picture and am hoping you can zoom in on it. If not you might not see what i mean. If you look at the dormer window on the right above the 1st window on the corner the flashing isn't flush against the tiles and has a bit of a gap at the bottom. Have been looking up forums and found out about dressing the lead with a dresser tool. As i don't have one just wondering if i should try to flatten it using a wooden mallet hammer or alternative tool (any suggestions welcome) or whether it isn't bad and would be as well leaving it as i'm not an expert in this field? Also wondering if it should have clips on the overlap? Thanks. [/img]

Sponsored Links
You can certainly try gently dressing the lead if you wish, but it will also be fine as it is - any water there will drip clear.
Access could be an issue too - the ladder would have to be on a bit of a skew.
Clips aren't necessary there - the lead needs to be able to move with expansion and contraction.
John :)

Great, thanks for putting my mind at rest. What is the purpose of the flashing there? What is it meant to protect?
I've stood on roof before to paint the windows but I'd rather not meddle with the lead in case I make it worse. Will it be cemented into the gap below fascia board?

Its there just to cast water away from the top of the window but I can't really understand why its not around the others - unless it is there and I just cant see it.
It will be tucked and sealed into the gap in the facia.
Personally I'd forget about it, and avoid standing on your roof as much as possible!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, liking your advice. There is flashing around the other windows but you probably just can't see it in the photo.
Cheers.
Emma.

Smashing. I'm beginning to wonder if its always been like that (built in 2002) as I checked a photo taken in 2009 and it was the same. Probably just not taken any notice of it until now (had a few tiles blown off a couple of weeks ago so been paying a lot of attention to roof).
Thanks again. :D

The lead apron is in place of a final course of slate, The lead gives a better finish where the soffit plate abutts the the dormer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back