flat roof gravel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat roof that is covered in gray gravel. Maybe it's too small to be called gravel; the gravel is about 1 millimeter in diameter. This roof is in the desert with an evaporative cooler on the roof. The cooler was splashing water and washed the gravel off part of the roof. The exposed black roof appears to be in good condition, I can see white fibers embedded in the black roofing material.

Should the gravel be replaced? If so, what is the gravel called, where do I get some, and how do I make it stick to the roof?

Thank you,
wolfv

Sponsored Links
We normally call then roof chippings, available from roofing and building suppliers.
Spread out thinly, a cold applied bitumen emulsion to stick them down.

The chippings are there to protect membranes from sun damage. Just redistribute what is there, or get a bag from your nearest American stockist.

We normally call then roof chippings, available from roofing and building suppliers.
Spread out thinly, a cold applied bitumen emulsion to stick them down.

Thanks cotswoldbuilders.
I didn't find any bitumen emulsion in the local stores.
The sales help recommended this "Plastic Roof Cement":

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12007-29-03..._s?Ntt=gardner+plastic+roof+cement&facetInfo=

Would that good for holding down the chippings?
I recovered enough chippings from other parts of the roof to cover the bald spot.

Trivia: where I live, they call chippings "granules".

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Looks a bit thick if it is trowel applied.
You can maybe thin it down with turps or such like.

hi i wouldnt advise using plastic cement better of not using anything and just put a few more chippings on should be ok then . :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back