flat roof porch leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a rectangular shaped poorch with a flat roof on a newish type property - so its like a triangular shape if you will on an outside corner quite facny really,

the problem is when it rains heavy the water comes in on one side - i climbed up and i saw that the guttering from the main house 'rests' on the flat roof just where the water is coming in

ive tried to siwch the water down when dry weather and check for leaves in the next guttering ect and put some of that brown filler/sealent on the inside where its coming in - its helped 'a little ' but i always leave a big bowl in my poorch and empty it.

does anyone know what i can do about this? i have no pictures sorry

Sponsored Links
Is the gutter blocked? It might be water running down the back of this and then through the underside of the tiled roof into the flat roof.

yes checked the gutter several times - the long guttering rests on top of the poorch where the leak is coming to catch from the roof as its a bungalow so im getting the whole flow from the roof

I think Stevoon is absolutely correct - in times of heavy rain the gutter is filling, then overflowing and allowing water to pass over the felt upstand and then down into the house.
Is it possible to raise the gutter height at all, to increase the fall?
Its always a good move - but unpopular - to see how much water is actually in the gutter in times of downpour.
John :)

Sponsored Links
As a further thought are there any lead valleys etc leading down to the porch, ive had a leak in mine which i finally traced to a combination of erroded mortar on the main roof hip tiles & cracks in a lead valley. Do you see any wetness in the main roof?

yes i think you might be right the long gutter thingy is straight and fills to full when it rains heavy - it does go down a pipe - eventually

we have tried to see if it will slope but its in such a position as it has to be directly under the roof thingy

the long guttering is liky a wobbly trough when it rains heavy so i think its overspill and not going down the piping as quick

can you explain the second e mail in a bit more detail please /i dont know what is a hip tile and all that

It sounds like there is a long gutter run from the flat roof to the downcomer.....is it possible to install another dowencomer (drain pipe) just after the roof, to a nearby gulley?

not really as the poorch is like a corner it has 3 sides to it and the poorch its triangular shapes so there are two gutterings running at the two tops where the bubngalow roof is (none at the front)

an inside drain whould probably solve it or maybe a new roof but i think its a design problem

It could be a job for the summer, but if you removed the gutter from its clips, then looked at the felt as it turned to the vertical from the flat roof, it may be short or could possibly benefit from a flashing pushed into the roof tiles, and turned down to cover the felt.....a bit difficult to describe, but at least the excess water would simply splash on the felt rather than seeping in.
Maybe a photo of this roof could help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back