Garage/workshop roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ladies and gentleman can you help please. Need to build a new roof with corregated bitumin panels (wicks) for my workshop. Span unsurpported is 5,20m (17') by 16'4". Want to use a 15 degree pitch ( planning regs says 12 and i wont need permission). No span tables for this shallow pitch as far as i know : :( . Walls are sectional concret. If I can manufacture trusses from wood, what size will I require? Am thinking of doing them in steel. I am at your mercy ;)

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind you have to support those butchumin sheets something ridiculous like every 400mm as they sag more than my Auntie mabels chest.

Bear in mind you have to support those **** sheets something ridiculous like every 400mm as they sag more than my Auntie mabels chest.

I can second that. Not sure about the sheets though :LOL: On a serious note they are awful & supporting them is a must. Have you already purchased them as we can suggest some better alternatives.

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind you have to support those butchumin sheets something ridiculous like every 400mm as they sag more than my Auntie mabels chest.

I hear you about the sagging. Has to be 500mm apart for 15 degree pitch. They are very light weight which for the span I thought would be needed (and cheapish). Will listen to anyother suggestions though. Thought about baching with board. really need the size of the wood needed to make trusses.

Bear in mind you have to support those **** sheets something ridiculous like every 400mm as they sag more than my Auntie mabels chest.

I can second that. Not sure about the sheets though :LOL: On a serious note they are awful & supporting them is a must. Have you already purchased them as we can suggest some better alternatives.

No not purchased them yet as cant get info on thickness of trusses so not totally sure about what covering to use. open to suggestions though :confused: Would like to keep cost down which is a factor.

Metal sheet cladding is pretty well priced. It's a lot harder wearing/looks nicer & fairly easy to fit. You also have good range of designs & colours. Not sure of a supplier in your area but it's worth googling a supplier & getting a price. They'll also be able to advise better than Wickes.

Why don't you have it done in 25mm clear polycarbonate sheets with 6 m timber supported glazing bars? Will be nice to have lots of light, our suppliers in Brum are dead cheap 0121 311 2666 they give free advice (Well it's my bro's firm hence the plug!) but mention me and you'll get it cheap and then I get free beers :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back