How to dismantle a down pipe that's fixed at both ends?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a rainwater down pipe that is fixed at the gutter and attaches to a pipe that goes into the ground.
I need to dismantle it to remove a blockage near the ground.
I've removed several brackets and loosened the joints but still can't get enough movement to separate the pipes.
Do I need to use a long ladder and remove all the brackets / loosen the gutter fixings or is there a cunning trick I'm missing?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If it is a plastic pipe you could cut out a small section to allow you to clear the blockage and join it together again with a down pipe connector.
If it is cast you will probably need to dis assemble the entire thing.

Thanks palaceray,

It's plastic.
Is it easier to insert a new connector than separate at the existing connectors?

If you have got a ladder it should be easy to seperate the existing joints unless they are glued solid.

Sponsored Links
The joints aren't glued as I can get the pipes to rotate.
The pipe is in three sections running from ground to eave.
As both the bottom and top are fixed I can't slide the pipes apart.
I've tried bowing the pipe out from the wall, but can't get enough movement to separate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back