How to Inspect trusses braced to the gable end walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, the above was mentioned as something to check in my recent house purchase survey and i'm wondering if it is something I could check myself-if I know what to look for?
The house was built in 1970 and it's a mid-terrace.
Any advice appreciated.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Wtf? You have a survey and it recommends that you check the trusses?

It's a waste of time checking if you don't know what you are supposed to be checking, or why some roofs may or may not need whatever you are checking for!

Why does the surveyor recommend checking the trusses?

He must have noticed some sort of problem with the roof or gable(leaning, spreading, sagging, cracking, badly fitting tiles) to recommend further investigation.

Thing is, you've paid a professional for their opinion , so surely the next step is to pay another professional to perform further investigations, as requested?

Or was it the compulsory one carried out on behalf of the mortgage company?

Sponsored Links
probably puts it on all surveys on this type of property. This area requires retaining straps to gables back to trusses. depending on builder these may or not be visible. take a close look they should be easy to see. if not feel for them through the underlay/felt, they will be about 1mtr apart.. (dont confuse them with battens)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back