Leaking flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just bought a new house and during the storms of the last few days have discovered I have a leak in the garage roof. It appears to be coming in through the seal around the extractor vent. I've attached a picture.

I have extremely basic diy skills so am just looking to find out if this is something I can fix or whether I should get a roofer. A search online has brought up various options for caulk/sealant. I'm not sure if this would be enough given the size of gaps under the flashing. Also would this just be a quick fix or would it last?

Lastly, will the garage roof take my weight? The pipe is quite close to the edge so I would only be at that end.

Thanks

Ashlie

Sponsored Links
I think I'd be inclined to remove that vent if possible, just to see whats beneath.
Various cold pitch compounds are available which can be smeared over any gaps, generally with success......I wouldn't recommend a DIYer having a bash with hot pitch!
There seems to be quite a bit of bubbling around the felt that we can see.....if the roof covering below is affected it may not take your weight without damage - especially if its chipboard!
Maybe a glance from below would give you some clue.....if the timber is black then there's been water there for some time.
John :)

Thanks John,
The timbers underneath look ok. They're slightly stained-whiteish- but not black. They certainly feel solid. Picture below.

It looks like it should be solid enough to take my weight so I'll give it a go tomorrow if the weather is ok. When I take the vent off what am I looking for?

Thanks for your help :D

That looks like a tongue and groove timber roof, and certainly worth saving!
See if the vent will twist free, without tearing any of the felt......it looks like its just been 'planted' on. Cut through the silicone layer that sticks the vent to the wall as well.
If you can get the vent off, make sure everything is completely dry and spread some cold Aquaseal compound or similar around the hole, then its vent back on, press down and apply more of the sealant around that.
Replace the silicone against the wall when thats done.
Disturb the rest of the felt as little as you can - its easy to split it where there's a bubble.
John :)

Sponsored Links
How come the surveyor missed:

1. the badly fitted terminal
2. the terminal being in an "illegal" position, tight aganst an abutment - 300mm required.
3. the vent possibly not having a safe distance from flammable materials?

Perhaps transfer your post to the plumbers forum?

No idea! The only thing that was highlighted about the flat roof was the standard paragraph about flat roofs needing more maintenance than pitched roofs. Certainly nothing about the terminal. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but it's not the terminal for the boiler. It's only the terminal for the oven extractor hood.
With that in mind do I now need to look at getting it moved?

As above, yes, dont bother transferring the thread.
I assumed it was in a garage, venting a boiler or a furnace of some kind - wrong assumption.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back