Leaky conservatory, damaged flashing - emergency!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So was a little surprised to find water dripping at a rate of knots through my five year old conservatory last night. Was coming in by the wall under the lintel. On investigation this morning (and after a fair bit of internal plasterboard came down) the flashing where the conservatory joins my rendered wall seems to have come away.
Chances of getting someone out today are slim so what is the best emergency repair I can carry out to at least stop it getting any worse. I don't care about how it looks I just want it watertight.
Do I also need to cover where the render has come away from the wall?
Any advice appreciated..was thinking some kind of expanding sealent? but I'm way out of my comfort zone (as it's not a computer!).
Clearly I'll get it repaired properly but that's unlikely to be till the weekend and I dont think it's going to stay dry till then.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get some self adhesive flashing and stick it down, should hold for a short while.

However, expect it to leak and place some buckets under the current leak - just in case.

The only problem I can see is it's the entire width of the conservatory and short of climbing on the conservatory roof there is no way to get to it... There is a window above but from there I can only get to 75% of it.. Thats why I was thinking sealant in a gun would give me the extra reach?

get some tubes of leadmate for the sealant gun - sqirt that in :idea:

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic?
By the sound of the amount of damage flash band would be the best bet for a temporary fix.

Most good quality roofs can be walked on ok. Just stick to the roof bars and wear grippy trainers as it will be slippy. You may want to have someone hang out of the window holding a rope for you.

1 I use plywood boards to put across the joists to crawl on. I would not recommend trying to step on the glazing bars - one slip and you'll be through !

2 I have found over the years that stick on flashing is useless. It soon curls up and creates gaps for water to run down the wall and in. You have to get the top of the flashing into the wall and cement over.

3 temporary repair is definitely by using a sealant. Some acrylic sealants can be used over wet and damp surfaces and will still stick. Very messy to use though. When you get close you'll soon see where the gaps are to fill.

Thanks all, actually managed to get the people round who put the Cons up and theyve done a temp repair with sealant - they were wandering around the roof without a care in the world!
Actually looks like its my wall above thats ultimately the problem, think it will need re-rendering - happy christmas to me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back