Non-Velux roof windows...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I was looking at some windows on a fairly prominent roofing supply website. The combination I need costs at least £400 more if I go with the Velux windows over their (I guess) own brand.

Now I've asked a couple of people in the trade and the comments seem to boil down to 'I trust Velux because I always use Velux'.

Any thoughts, pros and cons? The brand I was looking at is called Duratech.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As with anything cheaper you also need to ask questions about ease of fitting etc.

Velux are fool-proof, easy and quick to fit, rarely go wrong (if ever) and are probably worth the £400 extra

But when did you last fit a non Velux noseybonk? I would agree that going for a real budget job is foolhardy but Keylite or the Rooflight Company for instance (although I believe the Rooflight company ain't cheap either)?

Sponsored Links
Key light are almost a copy of Velux and are not that much cheaper. I looked at roto windows for a job the other day and was impressed with the Quality plus the standard ones come as a three quarter top opener and they were cheaper.

I have a colt roto roof window that is 16 years old which is still going strong. The wood reveal has had a sand and oil but other than that had no other maintenance over the years.

Thanks all.

So I guess there are other good brands available. I suppose as with anything you get what you pay for. I'll take a look at some of the mentioned brands and steer clear of the budget ones.

I have had issues with fakro flashings leaking on my slate roof, has anyone else.

Not sure if to pay the guy who fitted them, they have yet to leak when it rains but do leak if i hose the roof above them, they are on a slate roof that should weather well. they are 24 x 12 slates, he says hose is not fair assessment.

VELUX are very well established and have a big name on the market, doesnt mean though that they are the best Skylights

FAKRO are fantastic windows, competively priced and will deliver direct to site.

Also, UBBINK offer roof windows as well, cant really comment on their rooflights as I have never fitted them.

Most of the time when buying VELUX though you know you are getting them at a good price, because the market has pressured everyone in to running low margins on them!

I had 2 Fakro units fitted a year or so ago and they are pretty good, no complaints.

I prefer the catch at the bottom as they are easier to open in my opinion, the Velux handle would have been a bit of a stretch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back