Options on replacing a flat leaking roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I would like some opinions of what to do with our roof!

It’s currently leaking through into the kitchen and was wondering if the whole thing should be replaced? (I think the answer is going to be a replacement rather than a repair!)

If I was to replace it, what options do I have? Do I just get it re-felted? Or are there better wearing options on the market? Also, what cost would I be looking at?

The roof if approximately 82” x 27”

Thanks!
Dave

Sponsored Links
Jesus Christ? Repair? you're joking, like putting lipstick on a pig mate innit! :mrgreen:

Not too much for a replacement maybe £800-£1500 chuck some insulation on whilst they're at it and get a juicy lead flashing in too. Though have to watch heights around that pipe which will probably need disconnecting while they do it. All flat roof materials are much of a muchness IMHO, provided workmanship is up to scratch, as ever choice of roofer will be key (note I said roofer not builder).

Nice cake stand BTW.

thanks for that!

Wow didn't think it was going to be that much, but it def needs replacing!

We are also thinking of putting in new windows at a later date, i'm assuming it wouldn't be a problem to get the roof done and then the windows replaced?

thanks!
Dave

Sponsored Links
Its difficult really as we don't know what the condition of the timbers is or what the falls are doing etc, it could well be less, it might also be prudent to get both the roof and the window done at the same time.

would flashing tape be a bodge?! :LOL:
Yes

Usually with old felt roofs it's fairly obvious where the water's getting in. Likely culprits looking at the pics would be the wall flashing joint (or lack of) just right of centre, or the crack two feet to it's left. Obviously the welted drips at the outer edge are gone too, as in your pic.

If you find where the water's getting in you could bodge it with lead flashing tape and buy a little time, but the whole thing needs redone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back