OSB Boards or Polycarbonate for Conservatory roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a corugated plastic Conservatory roof which we want to replace since it is too hot or cold. One builder is suggesting OSB boards and another polycarbonate. Glass is out of question since we don't know if the foundation can take the load. Can someone kindly offer suggestions whether I should go for OSB or Polycarbonate ? OSB is much cheaper apparently but I just want a good Conservatory roof and reduce the cold in winter.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If your roof is watertight then just fix battens below it, fill it with insulation and then plasterboard it. Kingspan is best but rockwool will do if on a budget.

You can use it all year round then - but it will be darker - fit a Velux window if you like, that make a lot of difference.

Polycarbonate or OSB

You need to decide weather you want a clear roof or an en-closed roof

Andy

Polycarbonate or OSB

You need to decide weather you want a clear roof or an en-closed roof

Andy
You should be en - closed, Andy :mrgreen: the weather needs to be kept out . I can`t decide whether to :LOL: or :cry: @ your reply - Your standards are slipping :evil: ;) . Right - Joking aside Joe is on the right lines , in fact he`s considering doing similar work on connys himself . allegedly . And coincidentally so am I, with my son the plasterer . We are looking into doing away with the plasterboard layer and using a bonding coat and finish onto the celotex via EML , to reduce the weight . To the Original Poster - if you would like to contact me , my email is in my profile . We are in Sussex but I guess it might be worthwhile travelling to Surrey .

Sponsored Links
I don't see weight being an issue when you consider the weight of glass panels. It will be nowhere near that sort of weight.

Plasterboard is a safer bet. Maybe insulated plasterboard is the way to go.

If you use OSB or any other opaque roofing you may lose the conservatory exemption from Building Regulations and have to bring the conservatory into full compliance with B Regs for a habitable room.

Nige is your son a plasterer, you've not mentioned that before.......................MUCH.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andy

If you use OSB or any other opaque roofing you may lose the conservatory exemption from Building Regulations and have to bring the conservatory into full compliance with B Regs for a habitable room.

Can you post the relevant document? I think that all changed.

I am obleeged to m'learned friend.

The regulations have changed, the percentage glazed area requirement was dropped for the 2010 edition of Part L, but you'd still need to comply with appropriate Building Regs as below:

They are built at ground level and are less than 30 square metres in floor area.
The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality walls, doors or windows.
There should be an independent heating system with separate temperature and on/off controls.
Glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the applicable building regulations requirements.

If you have any doubts then please go to the following website link provided by the communities and local government:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/1728453.pdf

If you go to section c25 it clearly states the following:
Where a conservatory or porch does not meet all of the above conditions it is not exempt and approved documents l1b & l2b give guidance on what would be reasonable in meeting the energy efficiency provisions from non-exempt conservatories and porches. Building control bodies will want to note that the definition of conservatory in terms of percentage translucent material as set out in previous editions of the approved documents no longer applies. Guardian

Fitting new thermal insulation is a controlled activity and AIUI a SAP assessment will be required.
http://www.guardianroof.co.uk/building-controls/

This guy does not think it would be a good idea:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property...oof-remove-glazing-and-fit-a-proper-roof.html

Thanks for all your replies. Will OSB boards be considered as proper roof and hence I need planning permissions as per the new changes? .
Also does OSB really insulate more than Polycarbonate ?

Thanks for all your replies. Will OSB boards be considered as proper roof and hence I need planning permissions as per the new changes? .
Also does OSB really insulate more than Polycarbonate ?

If funds are tight put a nice, well constructed, insulated flat roof on it and tell no one. It just becomes another one of tens of thousands of none compliant "sun rooms". So what. If monies abundant knock it down and start an extension from scratch all official like.

I am going to get a new roof anyway since the current roof is really nasty job as per every roofer who saw it. I am just wondering if the OSB provides better insulation than Polycarbonate. Is plasterboard better than OSB and Polycarbonate ? Which one of the three OSB, Plasterboard and Polycarbonate gives the best insulation ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back